What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 pounder Drill. - ( I'm Extatic ! )

Andy Naude

I have been after this item for ten to fifteen years. Final managed to twist the arm yesterday.

It originated out of a Naval Base many years ago. The story goes that it had been lying out side in wind and rain. The previous owner did the refurbishment.

IMG_5354.JPG

It weighs 15.5 kg. The 40 mm Bofor and cat are just for comparison.

IMG_5355.JPG

Head Stamp"

17 pd

II

LOT E.C.C. (this has been cancelled)

S.L.

Crows Foot

AA

DRILL

Does the AA refer to Anti Aircraft?

IMG_5356.JPG

Any idea what this round would be doing at a Naval Base? Can't find any record of this being used by South African Navy.

IMG_5357.JPG

Last edited:
Are these wooden drill rounds quite common in Britain ? How much would they sell for there ?

In South Africa they seem to be far less available to collectors.

17 pounder drill rounds are hard to find over here, I guess I've seen about 3 for sale over the last 10 years.
2 pounder drill rounds are probably the easiest to find.
Prices, who knows, it depends whose selling and whose buying.
Dave.

Interesting. In South Africa the most common Drill I have come accross 40 mm Bofor followed by the 4 inch Mk.16 / 19. On the bottom end are 17 pounder, 25 pounder and the 4 inch Mk. 5. I think I would like to see a survey of drill rounds available some time. I've seen such a survey done on the 6 Pounder. I have not seen 2 pounder drill rounds here yet. I think there was limited use in the South African Navy of these.