What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 Pr case 1951

ron3350

I was shown a 17Pr case years ago that was made in 1951. I only have a headstamp drawing in my files.
Headstamp was: 17 Pr M48 FZ 1951 LOT 3.
I think it was made by Les Forges de Zebrugge Herstal, Belgium. What does the M48 refer to?

Why would the 17Pr be made post-war in 1951 unless some country still used it as a tank or artillery round? No photo available.

M48 Fuze is a PD Fuze of US origin. UK 17pr and US77mm are interchangeable

Thanks for the reply but I doubt that the case headstamp would show the projectile fuze type?
The M48 is inpressed below the 17Pr where it usually shows the 11 marking for case mark.
If the case was loaded with the usual APDS or APC etc it does not have a fuze.

I have a few of those cases. As Belgium used Sherman Firefly post war and several countries had 17 pdr guns, I had always assumed they were new production due to the unavailability of UK manufactured ammunition an given their own designation.

I have one such case - got it off a chap in Éghezée, Belgium.

Year of manufacture 1950. From the fact the primer has been replaced with a wooden plug and there are traces of red paint all over this case, I assume it has been used for drill. The "BMC" stamp seems to be related to this.

Here it is, alongside an inflatable 17-pdr I picked up for a laugh at the Tank Museum in Bovington and an image of the headstamp.

Wa 17pdr_1_1500.jpg Wa 17pdr_2_1500.jpg

Last edited: