What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

175mm discarding sabot

SG500

Premium Member
Here's the latest lump of metal that I just couldn't resist.
Its a 175mm discarding sabot round. The projectile minus sabots is approximately 140mm in diameter.
Very few markings on it, as shown in the photos.
It is repainted.
Does anyone have any further information on this one, I've drawn a blank, can't find anything on it.
All INERT etc.
Thanks,
Dave.
PS to those observant ones - I realise I labelled the photos wrong, it is of course not an apds not being armour piercing.

Attachments

• 175mm apds 004.jpg
    175mm apds 004.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 175mm apds 005.jpg
    175mm apds 005.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 175mm apds 008.jpg
    175mm apds 008.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 175mm apds 002.jpg
    175mm apds 002.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 114
  • 175mm apds 003.jpg
    175mm apds 003.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 175mm apds 006.jpg
    175mm apds 006.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 175mm apds 007.jpg
    175mm apds 007.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 175mm apds 001.jpg
    175mm apds 001.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 187
A very nice and very interesting bullet you have there Dave! Quite the conundrum. In the U.S. the 175mm was considered a Gun instead of a Howitzer, so ammo was labeled 175G. The 175 was phased out not long after Vietnam which ended around 1975. Your projo has plenty of rotating band, as the 175G rounds did, to get the velocities that they needed for their long range work. I haven't seen a DS projo for one though.

By-the-way, the U.S. 175 HE used a special fuze, that was epoxy filled, to withstand the shock of firing.

John

Last edited:
Thanks John, this projectile has been repainted so it could be the painter got the G and H confused.............?

Dave.

Dave,

Whats the M number on your fuze? I will post info on the standard 175 fuze a bit later.

Last edited:
In the early 1980s there was talk of developing an 11-inch sabot round for the 16-inch rifles on the Iowa class battleships. Perhaps this has something to do with it. It would certainly have a long range.

During the Vietnam War, under the name Gunfighter Program, the U.S. Navy experimented with LRBA (Long Range Bombardment Projectiles). There were 2 calibers that I have seen documented, 8 inch and 16 inch. The 8 inch projo is a long finned dart slightly over 5 inches in diameter with bore rider sabots in front and pusher sabots in back wrapped around the dart above the fins, in the same method as APFSDS tank ammunition. The 8 inch ammunition was actually fired in combat to a range of 35 miles, and can be read about here:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_8-55_mk12-15.htm see note 5 under ammunition.

The Army was a bit confused when the Navy used Hueys as forward observers during the barrage.

The 16inch projectiles utilzed surplus 280mm Atomic Gun HE projectiles, pushed by a one piece aluminum sabot, and stabilized through the barrel with plastic rings around the body, just above the pusher plate sabot. A photo is shown below of the separated assembly.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.htm see note 4 under ammunition

The fuze info is for the 175mm HE projo.

Attachments

• M572 PD Fuze Dwg.jpg
    M572 PD Fuze Dwg.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 60
  • WNUS_16-50_mk7_LRBA_pic.jpg
    WNUS_16-50_mk7_LRBA_pic.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 63
  • M572 PD Fuze Data.jpg
    M572 PD Fuze Data.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 42
Here is the 8-inch APDS, shown next to a couple 8-inch ICM projectiles. I had an additional one, given to me from a Police Department in Texas, they had received a call about a kid with a bomb, arrived and found a 10 year old beating on it with a hammer.

I traded off the beaten one, along with a German 155mm version from about the same time period.

Attachments

• DSCN1192.jpg
    DSCN1192.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 147
Dave,

Whats the M number on your fuze? I will post info on the standard 175 fuze a bit later.

Thanks for the information John attached are pictures of the fuze and another of some more stamping I've just noticed on the body.
No idea if its the right fuze for this particular projectile, looks good though
Thanks,
Dave.

Attachments

• 175 again 001.jpg
    175 again 001.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 175 again 002.jpg
    175 again 002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 175 again 003.jpg
    175 again 003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 41
Here is the 8-inch APDS, shown next to a couple 8-inch ICM projectiles. I had an additional one, given to me from a Police Department in Texas, they had received a call about a kid with a bomb, arrived and found a 10 year old beating on it with a hammer.

I traded off the beaten one, along with a German 155mm version from about the same time period.

WOW that's just astonishing, that must have gone on for ever when fired, thanks for showing it.
If you want to ship it over to the UK I promise to help the postman carry it into my house :tinysmile_twink_t2:
Dave.

Dave,

The number you have pictured is the number on the booster adapter. The fuze number would be around the rim of the widest part of the fuze. The Booster adapter unscrews from the fuze body, right hand thread. The booster cup (aluminum on the bottom) unscrews from the adapter, left hand thread.

Dave,

The number you have pictured is the number on the booster adapter. The fuze number would be around the rim of the widest part of the fuze. The Booster adapter unscrews from the fuze body, right hand thread. The booster cup (aluminum on the bottom) unscrews from the adapter, left hand thread.

Hi again, no number at all on the rest of the fuze.
Dave.

Pd m557 ?

Looks like a standard PD M557 Fuze to me.
See attached pics

Love the lump Dave a real mastepiece to add to any collection.

Hope you dont have to pay for the postmans Hernia operation:wink:

Attachments

• PD M557 Comps A.JPG
    PD M557 Comps A.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 32
  • PD M 557 Fuze-cont.JPG
    PD M 557 Fuze-cont.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 557 M  PD complete.jpg
    557 M PD complete.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 38
8 inch LRBA

That 8 inch LRBA is a pretty interesting piece. Anybody have any technical pubs or further info on it. A google search didnt dig anything up. Im thinking this a pretty rare piece you have there US-Subs?

There are a few of the 8 inch Gunfighter projectiles around. Jeff had 2 and I've had 3. A number of them were scrapped out from Yuma Proving Ground, and a few people got them from the scrap yard. There were also 3 of the 16 inch Gunfighter projectiles that were scrapped out. I still have 2 of them.

Hazord is correct But he is missing a few Documents. The Gunfighter was for Long Range Bombardment Ammunition. The project was based out of Naval Ordnance ststems command in Indian Head, they used the M572 SQPD Fuze. But Ordnance that it covered was the

105mm, 155mm, 5-inch/54, 175mm, 8-Inch, 280mm and the 16- Inch projectiles

extended range 175mm/155mm subcaliber sabot projectile. This is a
high velocity, spin-stabilized artillery round with a high setback acceleration.
The program was funded in early March 1971 and the final field test was completed
on 5 June 1971.

extended range 175mm/155mm subcaliber sabot projectile. This is a
high velocity, spin-stabilized artillery round with a high setback acceleration.
The program was funded in early March 1971 and the final field test was completed
on 5 June 1971.

Thanks for the information. 3 months of tests, not long at all.
Dave.