What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pdr Practce?

JohnB

Would anyone have any information on a configuration of 18 pdr projectile I am finding. It consists of an HE projectile (non-streamline), fitted with a No. 80 fuze. The cavity has what appears to be a smoke charge in a bag placed within it. Under the fuze is a baffle plate with one large hole in the center for the fuze flash and two offset from the center. There is a narrow brass fuze well adapter fitted at the mouth. I think it was an interwar manufacture to make use of large stocks of remaining materiel but with the objective of retaining training value. Any thoughts/drawings, or text. Thank you.

Hi JohnB,

Your description of the projectile reminds me of the Practice Smoke projectile of the 4.5-Inch Howitzer. There is a diagram and description of this in the 1915 Treatise on Ammunition (which can be downloaded from various places on the internet).

Hope this helps.

Roger.

The projectiles are 18 pdr Mk II or above HE type. (diameter 84mm) I have had a number of 4.5 HE that I have disposed of in the same area. After functioning you are left with the projectile intact as there is not enough force to rupture the projectile. Yes these old 2" internal bore projectiles are a tough nut. Lots of fun cleaning ranges for a living. But the books do not cover it all. As per policy I do not want to get too detailed as to methods and means as RSP/Inerting is not a topic for open discussion. That is what I do for a living. Just that this site and its members are experts at the obscure and hard to find. Maybe if it worked for 4.5 they decided it would work for 18 pdr.