What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pdr

toolong

please find herewith some pictures of an 18 pdr (should the projectile and the shell be one, or is that in 2 separate parts).

Attachments

• DSCN0197.jpg
    DSCN0197.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0198.jpg
    DSCN0198.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0199.jpg
    DSCN0199.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN0200.jpg
    DSCN0200.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0201.jpg
    DSCN0201.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 67
Some more pictures

Attachments

• DSCN0202.jpg
    DSCN0202.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0203.jpg
    DSCN0203.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0205.jpg
    DSCN0205.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0206.jpg
    DSCN0206.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 47
Hi
You have a 18 pr shrapnel Mk XII with a fuze N80 Mk VII
All is good
Your shell can also be with a N85 fuze

Hi all

I found this datasheet about a QF 18Pdr mk VI, but I don't know if Quick Fire is very different than a normal 18 Pdr shell.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 81
very nice shell with some original paint on too
dont clean or polish it or i'll be round your house to sort you out!!

te he
18pounder

18pr QF

Basically QF (quick firing) means the round has metal usually brass case, FA (fixed ammunition0 means the shell is fixed into the case and the gun is loaded in one go. All 18prs were QF FA. 2pr

Nice item

Hi Toolong I see you have the obligatory "split" driving band from the charge in the shell going off.
Splits aside that is a really nice condition item:biggrin:

Hi Toolong I see you have the obligatory "split" driving band from the charge in the shell going off.
Splits aside that is a really nice condition item:biggrin:

As above, but.... I do love the markings inside the fuze! shame they are hidden from view.

Hi Folks, Gun ammo tends to be of the QF (quick firing) type, ie having a cartridge case that contains the propellant and the means of igniting the propellant (normally a Primer), while Howitzer ammo tends to be of the BL (breech loading) type, ie not having a cartridge case, where the propelling charge is in a bag and for that reason there is a separate means of ignition, normally a Tube, that fits into the Howitzer's breech. It's all about rearward obturation, the term for gas sealing in the firing piece (Gun or Howitzer). It is quick and easy to eject a cartridge case after firing and insert a fresh one, while it may be slower to reload in respect of a Howitzer - think of burning debris in the barrel that is left over from the previous firing.
There were three types of QF ammo:

1. QF Fixed - where the cartridge case and projectile are permanatly attached to each other until the round is fired.

2. QF Semi-Fixed - where the base of the shell is inserted into the top of the cartridge case before insertion into the gun.

3. QF Separate - where the propelling charge - although in a cartridge case - and the shell are loaded separately into the gun.

I hope this helps.