What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pounder HE shell colour

9thLancers

Good day,
I am restoring an 18 Pounder shell that at some point was chromed and made into a lamp. I believe it is HE; it is certainly not shrapnel. The markings, from top to bottom, are as follows:

M/55
UC2290
M/55
M/55
QF 18 PR
III
FS
CML
19 5 17
CW
M/55

The 'M/55' marking is quite small and consists of an M with a small 55 directly below. It also appears on the base. 'CML' is presumably the maker, and as I am in Canada, may mean 'Canada Machine Ltd' or something similar. I have no idea what 'CW' means, but I have read in other forums where the explosive filling is marked in that position. The shell had been fired (driving band is rifled).

So, having said all that, my question is (and I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere) what should the colour of the shell be? Some people say it is BS381C No 359 (middle buff), others say No 356 (golden yellow). What is appropriate for an HE shell made in 1917, and is there a specific reference book that contains that info? Further, I understand a red band near the fuze indicates it has been filled, and another band around the middle in either green or red indicates the explosive used, but what colour is used for which explosive?

As an interesting aside, 'War Souvenir Co' is marked on the bottom of the shell, and there is a hole drilled in the bottom of the shell and through the middle of the No 80 fuze to allow the passage of the cord for the lamp.

Thanks for any info!

Here is original paint on a sectioned HE

Attachments

• IMG_0002 2.jpg
    IMG_0002 2.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
My understanding is that the WW1 HE yellow was more your brighter golden yellow, and that the WW2 HE colour was a duller buff yellow.
The HE filler band was green, with the actual explosive used stencilled in black, eg TROTYL.
BTW a No. 80 fuse was fitted to shrapnel shells, HE were fitted with No. 100, 101 etc.

I have another that doesn't even look yellow now, either changes overtime in the paint or the effects of a possible
"protective" varnish ? But some of this paint I think might have been unstable over time, as in the Red Shrapnel bands that go Orange etc.

This one is CF&Mco for 1917. Don't know the company yet but I expect it is in the U.S.

The yellow used on casing bases is brighter judging by this 1918 EOC case.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 5.jpg
    IMG_0001 5.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0001 6.jpg
    IMG_0001 6.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Yes a fair bit of variation. It might be noted that 18pr HE made in Canada were shipped empty and filled in the UK, so those with
original paint over here would not have the filling colour band. Maybe Pauls original mix scaled down would be worth a try from the other thread.

Thanks all,
As for the colour, I'm beginning to think that there was no standard shade of 'yellow', each different maker probably just used whatever yellow paint was locally available.
Darkman, I agree that the No 80 was used mainly with shrapnel, but the attached photo would suggest that it's use with HE was contemplated.But that is neither here nor there, as I said, this is a lamp restoration project, and I wouldn't want to ruin a No 100 or 101 by driving a hole through it for the wiring.
Does anybody have any ideas on what 'CW' stamped on the shell might mean?

5062720_f520.jpg

No. 80 fuses were fitted to HE shells for AA use - in conjunction with a gaine or a No. 44 fuse (that screw inside the 2 inch thread) used to ignite the HE filling.

According to the 18 Pr Handbook 1931, shell HE Mks 1 - 6 could be fitted with the Fuze T & P No 44/80

Yes it's a universal fuze setter, SYS ll 2-19. The centre insert can be changed to suite various fuzes. I only have the No80
insert that came with it. All small screws and such are missing so it doesn't really work now. I quess it was used for
a tea pot stand or something like that !