What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pr HE SL

ozziammo

I picked up a few 18 Pdr HE Stream Lined shells (empty) a while back & have recently noticed a different drive band on 1 of them, it seems to be in the style of a 25 pdr drive band making it a separate loaded round.

All 18 pdr rounds I have seen have been fixed. I suspect it is a trial/experimental version with the design number stamped after the steel supplier.

I have bead blasted the drive band in question that has given it the enhanced colour.

The stampings I can make out are as follows:

B.H.P. 45331
18 Pr
I C
BS
SAR

BHP (Broken Hill Proprietry-steel supplier) 45331 (design number)
I C (Mk I C)
B S (Billet Steel)
SAR (South Australian Railways)
633 (Lot 633)
7.40 (July 1940)

Any one with any further suggestions or info?

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• P1030185.jpg
    P1030185.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 92
  • P1030187.jpg
    P1030187.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 100
  • P1030184.jpg
    P1030184.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Hi Pete,

Did BHP also manufactured 25pr projectiles?

Perhaps there was a batch where 25 pdr driving bands were accidently put on the 18pdr projectiles???

I have a sectionised 18pdr HE SL (there pics of it in one or my previous posts....)

Markings are:
BHP F3080
MO
18pdr
IC (Mk I C)
MOC (?)
104 (Lot 104)
8-40 (August 1940)

It has the 18pdr drive band on it.

Cheers
Drew

G-Day Drew,

I know BHP @ Whyalla made 25pdr projectiles during WWII, there is a pic on Flea-Bay at the moment taken in the factory machining projectiles, I also have specimens that I know came from there from elderly (now or deceased) people that worked there. The 18pr that I have pictured was made by SAR (Islington Workshops) not @ Whyalla.

Any chance you could take a clear pic of the markings on that sectioned 18pr SL HE please?

I notice from the dates of manufacture that your proj is a month apart from mine even though it may have been made in a different factory, I would be interested to know what the code MOC represents?

Somewhere in the archives buried away would be the design numbers that correspond with a drawing or type of steel to those numbers after BHP.

Regards, Ozzi.

I can't add anything to the mystery of why the 18 pdr would have a 25 pdr driveband fitted, but here are some photos of a 10/1941 Mk 1C HE SL shell I recently picked up. Fits nicely into a Mk IV 1942 MF case I already had.

Not sure who maker "CSR o" is possibly Commonwealth Sugar Refinery?

Cheers, Graeme

Attachments

• P1060807a.jpg
    P1060807a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 56
  • P1060794a.jpg
    P1060794a.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 37
G-Day Graeme,

Your 18pdr SL "CSR" was indeed made by Commonwealth Sugar Refinery, they also made barrels for 25pdr guns & other ordnance related items. I have seen a non-SL proj. made by "VR" Victorian Railways.

DRONICs SL proj was made by "MO" Munitions Orange in NSW.

Still none the wiser about the SL of mine with the odd D/band!

Regards Ozzi.

Thanks for confirming that Ozzi. Made me research it a little further. CSR is Colonial Sugar Refining Co. Ltd. ("CSR Co"). They made various ordnance and weapons for WW2.
I would have thought "MO" on Drew's SL shell was for Maribyrnong Ordnance factory in Melbourne. Orange, NSW was MAO?

Regarding your 25 pdr driveband on the 18 pdr SL shell: All the reference handbooks and literature on 18 pdr Mk 1C SL shells say that the driveband form was to design RL24511 and that the case was coned onto the shell. There are only really 3 options for your non-standard shell. It was experimental; a mistake/error; or somebody has rebanded an old shell some time ago using a genuine 25 pdr driveband (and after time it looks original). I favour the last option. How many old WW2 scrap shells are there around without drivebands these days?

Cheers,

Graeme

Graeme,

Thanks for the clarification of CSR (too much Bundaberg rum)! & MAO.

I have had a good look at the drive band, if it had been knocked off a 25 pdr & placed on this 18 pdr there would be signs of a join or change in diameter from 25-18 pdr or marks from the removal/reinstallation. This drive band has been professionally done in a factory.

Maybe they were made for proofing where propellant loads had to be adjusted, this would require access to the cart. case without the projectile crimped in. Just a thought.

Regards Ozzi.