What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pr help!

hi im new to this forum but was looking for some help, ive recently aquired a 18pr shell case and was wondering if anybody could fill the gaps for me on the markings, i think i have identified a few but more thn happy to be corrected.

18 PR - 18 pounder
II - mark 2
crowsfoot - british manufactred
B in a circle - ?
1 10 17 - date of production
359A - lot number
1917 - year of manufacture
CF - cordite full charge
B.A - ?
D.C.P.C - ?

primer

12/16 -december 1916
* -?
F12 -?
16 -?
LS/LS -?

thank you very much for your time

Last edited:
Hi
I`m not to good on the older headstamps but I`ll try where I can!.
CF - cordite full charge
359a - Lot number - I think?
II - Mark two

Primer
12/16- December 1916 manufacture.
I think the bits you have done are correct
I`m sure others here will be able to fill in the blanks (or correct me!!)
Are any of the markings crossed out/stamped over? If so this would show a reload (primer obviously would be removed & new installed).

hope this helps a bit

E-P,

The encircled B is the trade mark of J.G. Brill and Co. of Philadelphia. They normally manufactured street cars and buses. At around the turn of the last century they underwent a massive expansion program buying numerous other companies. It is possible that the BA DCPC denotes that the case was made at one of the other establishments.

With respect to the primer F12 is the Filling Sation in this instance National Filling Station Cardonald. The denominator LS denotes that the Inspection Office for the primer was Leeds. The only record I have for a monogram ending in S for Leeds is Automatic Standard Screw Company, Charles Street, Halifax, in this case the numerator would be 'AS'. However, records for this period are not necessarily complete so there could have been a 'LS'.

TimG

Yes, it does

TimG

P.S. Make that North America

Last edited:
The crows foot/broad arrow marking denotes British government property, not made in uk. This mark is found on items manufactured FOR the british abroad, such as shells and casings made in USA and canada, and even Lee Enfield rifles made at Long Branch (Canada) and Savage Arms (USA).

Sometimes the arrow is ringed by a large "C" this denotes Canadian manufacture.

I despair!

BTW Nismosonic, the Broad Arrow within a "C" identifies Canadian government ownership, not manufacture. For example it will be found on Webley revolvers used by Canadian forces.

Regards
TonyE