What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1866 Box with 1902 Gallery Practice 303

Gspragge

Premium Member
Picked this up today, older box refilled with 303 Gallery Practice ammunition in 1902.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 45
A very nice box. I should imagine it was originally filled with P.'53 paper cartridges but it could have been early Snider rounds.

There were three Marks of Canadian Gallery Practice cartidges, the Powder Mark I, Smokeless Mark I and Smokeless Mark II. They are pictured below in that order.

Regards
TonyE

Canadian SR Powder I.jpgCanadian SR S'less I.jpgCanadian SR s'less II.jpg

Loaded with MK1 but by whom is not clear, could be from the UK ? I would expect DA on the label if Canadian ? or is that a small DC after Mark ! but very worn ?

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 33
Yes, looks like a small "DC" with the Government "Broad Arrow" over it, as you would see on the individual 10-rd packets.
Roger.

No inner tin box, but if somebody unscrewed the top years ago (though it doesn't look like it) , that could have been removed.