What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1899 Russian 37x95R Hotchkiss Naval case

I'll start it with Russian Navy 1899 - but others will know the finer details.

Humour here --- my most successful post was when I posted about making Haggis --------- but the jellied Elk noses took the day !

The US exported loaded rounds to Russia during WW1. I appears that the original Russian case has been fitted with a US PEMCo projectile. It appears that the projectile has been plated..

Hello,

Does anybody know the meaning of the "N.3" stamp and the mark at the 9 o'clock position on this Russian Marine shell?

172a.jpg

Thanks,

Jf

There is no record for Izhevsk in relation to case production. According to most Russian researchers it is the same as the 3 digit entry in the beginning of the thread.

EOD, you are undoubtedly right about Ижорский Завод vs Ижевский Завод. My headstamp has "9П." below the centre, another just added headstamp has "12П.". Could it be "Партия" which is a slightly archaic for "Lot"? What do you think?

Last edited:
Vlad, entirely possible as there is hardly any other number to be used for a lot.
Actually the word "Partiya" (Russian for "lot" - not to exclude other readers) is still used today and still can be found on a variety of lot numbers today (though not all).