What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18Pdr Incendiary Info

Matthew Lawton

Hi Guys
Can anyone supply me with any 18Pdr Incendiary Info.
I have an example that i believe to be Incendiary but i am unsure. I will get photos asap.
It is longer than a standard 18Pdr and has a approx. 1cm single hole in the side around midway.
Photos and details soon but any help in the mean time would be great
Best regards
Matthew

Hi Guys
Please find the photos below.
It is 295mm from the base to the base of the fuse.
The hole is exactly 15mm.
The marking appear to be

CF 18 Pdr

C T
E G
E A

R. LEGOOD
1914 - 18

Just below the hole is a H and below that at broad arrow in a box
There are also numerous proof marks that i have not seen on a shell before.
Any one got any info? Thanks in advance
Best regards
Matthew

IMG_2192.jpgIMG_2193.jpgIMG_2194.jpgIMG_2195.jpgIMG_2196.jpgIMG_2197.jpgIMG_2198.jpgIMG_2199.jpgIMG_2201.jpgIMG_2202.jpgIMG_2203.jpgIMG_2204.jpgIMG_2205.jpg

Can you provide a measurement from the base to the centre of filling hole please.

Cheers

Pete

Based on the overall measurement and the location of the filling plug, it is either a smoke or chemical 18pdr.
Depending on the model and the manufactures tolerances, the overall length varied between 270 and 295mm, with the filling plug located between 200 and 215mm from the base.

Cheers

Pete

Thank you very much.
Is there any way of finding out which of the two it is.
Is it a scarce shell?
Does anyone have any paperwork with this type of shell on?
Best regards
Matthew

CI = Cast Iron

EG/EA = Elliott & Garrood, East Anglia (Beccles, Suffolk)

Looks like it may have been an end of hostilities presentation piece to the named recipient for services to the company.

Markings for Chemical Fill 18Pdr are shown in Textbook of Ammunition 1926, and no doubt elsewhere.

Tom.

Attachments

• Excerpt 1926.jpg
    Excerpt 1926.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 31