What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18Pr AP or APHE ?

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Does anyone know if British made a 18pr AP shot with black paint ?
I know the AP-HE shell with base fuze and green-yellow paint but on picture the round seems to be black with white tips for AP shot.

Regards.

ICE-HC1-119-3.JPGICE-HC1-119-7.JPG18PR.jpg18pr APHE.jpg

In the pre '44 and 44 - 48 marking systems practice shot were black and the white tip in that case showed that it was a pointed shot to differentiate it from flat head shot.
It would have had a red ring if a tracer was present.

It looks like the red ring has faded to pink. Also the cart is stencilled for a tracer fitted.
Cheers
Gary

Thanks guys.
So, it' a 18pr practice shot with tracer.
I assume the yellow band on body is missing.
Maybe the same on this picture from bocn.
Regards
18pr bocn.jpgtips.jpg

I must pay attention. I am not quite sure how many rings there are and the colours.
I thought at first that the case and the projectile might have been a mismatch.

If there is definitely no yellow band this is not a practice shot but a Semi Armour Piercing shot with Tracer (SAP - T).
The case is correct for this round. Black stencilled (Silver Nitrate) markings on case bases only apply to the cartridge case
and contents and in this instance mean Armour Piercing full charge. There is no distinction between AP and SAP provided the case had a full charge.

I failed to notice the absence of a yellow band.
This makes it a Semi Armour Piercing shot and the red ring pointed out by Hangman means it has a Tracer fitted (SAP-T).
The case base black stencilling AP means that the case contains a full charge of propellant for a shot, be it AP or SAP.