What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1900 projectile ID

Grzesio

Could anybody help with identifying this badly corroded projectile?
It was found by archeologists off the coast of the Dominican Republic, in the Caribbean.
All I have, are these four photos; the projectile is approximately 140 mm long and its calibre seems to be around 57 mm, so it would most probably fit into 6 pdr class. The fuze diameter is ~25 mm. There are apparently two driving bands at the rear (or, less likely, one wide drawing band) plus a third, forward driving band located at the bourrelet. Thus I suspect, the projectile could be dated to around 1900 or WW1 era. The drawing, I made from the photos, shows a possible reconstruction of the original shape, with approximate dimensions, assuming there were two separate driving bands at the rear. What troubles me, is the very short tail, making use in a fixed cartridge questionable.

Kind regards

Grzesio

Attachments

• x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 38
  • x3.jpg
    x3.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 36
  • x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 32