What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1916 18 Pounder Case Markings

peregrinvs

I can see it's a 1916 dated MkII 18pdr case, Canadian (?) made, 01/04/1916 inspection date, reloaded twice (?), has been annealed and has a Kings Norton filled primer.

What else can you tell me about it?

Thanks,
Mark
IMG_3396.JPGIMG_3397.JPGIMG_3398.JPGIMG_3399.JPG

Mark,

The case was made by the ‘Canadian Cartridge Company’ (CCS)

CVN = the significance of these letters has, as yet not been ascertained. They appear on North American manufactured cases and appear to be date incremental, they may be some form of ‘Lot’ identification.

The case has been repaired/re-worked twice, firstly by ‘CRY’ The Great Central Railway, Gorton Manchester, secondly by ‘MRY’ Midland Railway, Derby.

The ‘S’ with the two punch dabs indicates that the case has had a Scleroscope test (hardness tested)

The full date signifies when it was approved by military inspectors for service.

The primer might have been made by Pollit & Wigzell, Sowerby Bridge. However, they were heavy engineers and I doubt it.

TimG

Hello everyone,
My opinion is the same as TimG, the combination of letters below CCS is for the lot.
CCS takes part of a group of canadian makers who uses this system.
At the beginning, the lots are noted A, B..., when the alphabet is ended, they use a combination of two letters AA, AB, .....ZZ and then combinations of three letters.
CCC is a very interessant maker ( If it is alwways the same ).
At the beginning, there is no lot, the inspector's number is 1 ( inside a circle ) or 1 and 3, or 1,2 3 on the same case.
In october 1915, I think, an important modification:
The lot appears and they are two inspectors operating at the same time.
The number 6 ( the most frequent ), in that case the logo is CC with a S inside, and the number 8, then the logo is CC or CCO without the S inside.( cf 1,2,3 ). I have not yet understood how is the repartition of the lots between this two inspectors. I have never found the same combination of letters with the number 6 and the number 8.
cf1: At this date the inspector 1 is gone to MDCo, the inspector 6 comes from RSCo where he was operating together with the inspector 57.
cf2: During some months in 1916, by the inspector 6 the S disappears in the logo witch becomes CCC or CC. ( some combinations of three letters beginning by D or E ).
cf3: The same duality, inspector 6 and 8 is also found on 13PrMkII. On he other hand, on 4.5INCH MkII, I have always seen the inspector 6 without the S in the logo.
Photo 1: First production without lot.
Photos 2,3,4 inspector 6 with one letter, two letters and three letters.
Photo 5: Inspector 8, three letters ( never seen one or two letters ).
Photo 6: Inspector 6, 1916, without the S in the logo.
Regards,
Dandebur.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Believe primer (1st post)to be made by Pelabon Works, Richmond, Surrey.

TimG