What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1917 dated 4.5" Shell box...

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_8251.jpgIMG_8254.jpgIMG_8258.jpgIMG_8255.jpgIMG_8256.jpgIMG_8259.jpgIMG_8260.jpgIMG_8257.jpg

Good afternoon,

Thought members here might be interested in this little gem I recently bought, namely a 4.5" shell box, dated 1917.
I'd imagine it's a rare survivor (?) as most probably succumbed to the damp / woodworm / or being used as firewood in the dug outs, etc.
Still, it's a wonderful piece of history, bought to me in a very sorry state. But a weeks worth of stabilising, worm killer baths and conservators wax seem to have given it a bit more of a chance.

Despite having lots of stencilled info on both sides, I'm stumped by the 103 VI stencil. Would I be right in assuming that this would refer to the fuze type fitted to the shells before being boxed? Or were they boxed unfuzed, but the stencil purely states which fuze must be used with this particular shell? Is it a reference to a fuze at all?!
The box has '4.5 HE IX' in the top right corner, and the shadow of what I believe to be the shell dividers in the box.
Also, on one end grain edge of the box is stamped 'GCo 1917 4.5"....Would anyone know anything about G Co? The reinforcing corner strap rests against the 'G' so it could be another initial is hidden behind.

Lastly, 'P10 on the base....I'm assuming this is the box type?

Any help in deciphering this information and learning more about this box would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
D

4.5 HE IX is the Mark IX HE shell.

W 14-8-18 is the monogram of the filling station (Woolwich) and date of fuzing. Edit: see correction in later post.

23894C is the RL design for filling with amatol 80/20 around the given exploder and smoke box.

103 VI RL is the type, numeral and monogram of the filler of the fuze. There should be a Lot number beneath that (cannot make it out).

G Co. is the maker of the box.

Tom.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info Tom, much appreciated.
So would the shells, when packed into this box, already be fuzed ready for immediate service? I'd always assumed the shells were transported with transit plugs to the point they reached the battery's. I'm sure if it could speak it could tell a tale or two..
Cheers!
Dylan

Last edited:
I put 14-8-18 as date of fuzing. Apologies, I meant date of filling (with HE), at Woolwich.

The maker of the empty fuze (monogram RW) is Rudge Whitworth Ltd, Coventry, and the 80/20 amatol fraction can be seen top left by the hinge on that side panel.

On left hand side of each end of the box is the number of shell contained, written vertically: 2 SHELL, and on the right hand side can be made out (just) the ghost of two red crosses, indicating the amatol is suitable for hot climates - so made from high purity ammonium nitrate and Grade I TNT.

By the end of the war most, if not all, 4.5" HE shell were sent out with fuzes fitted, but up to at least mid-1917 4.5" HE shell were supplied plugged and the exploders and fuzes were inserted prior to use. (Receipt of 4.5" HE fitted with No.106 fuzes at the ammunition depots in France began around September 1917.)

Tom.

Excellent information Tom, thank you. Your knowledge is pretty remarkable. Boxes I'm not too knowledgeable on, only what goes in them, so this is great info to learn about.
Thanks again, much appreciated. Always chuffed when items like this reveal their secrets.

Nice find with the markings, different set up for the brackets than mine, so hopefully there is another one around so you can make them up
and put a couple of projectiles in it.