What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1940's British sea mine; what would it look like?

Jake Drummond

I'm researching data for a proposal to have a memorial erected to five men who died trying to tether a sea mine, probably one of our own, and who may have saved a small coastal village from some serious damage.
Knowing only a little about sea mines of that period, and their desrtructive power, I wondered if anyone could answer a few questions I have?

First off, would it have been a British mine, given it's location in the Forth of Forth? I am assuming it was, and that it was laid to protect the Forth Bridge and Rosyth Naval Dockyard, and given that it's detonation was given as an 'accident' as opposed to enemy action.

Roughly what would it look like? This is important as we hope to have an impression of one on the actual memorial. I'd thought it to have numerous spikes located all around, but perhaps only a few at the top?

How much ordnance would it contain (?) and ..........
........what would be the result of a 'beached' detonation in close proximity to houses?

Is there any evidence that civilians were encouraged to tether the loose mines? Suggestions that they were ''paid 5 each to retrieve them'' have been made, which I'm assuming to be incorrect!

Was there a prescribed method of tethering these mines?

Would we be able to source an inert item to use in our memorial?

And lastly, where would I source official reports on such an accidental detonation?

All and any assistance appreciated, as is any knowledge of funding sources to help pay for the memorial.