What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1942 us 105mm m1...

staples57

BOCN Supporter
Asking the experts...

I recently picked up, what I believe to be, a US 105MM M1 HE projectile complete with fuze.
The fuze is unmarked, painted blue (drill/practice?) and is the same as the one shown in the photo below.
The projectile is unfired, INERT / FFE, nicely marked with traces of the original yellow paint.
Can anyone shed light on the markings?

105mm Markings.jpg

From what I've been able to find out, the US 105MM M1 HE rounds were painted yellow with red markings prior to 1942 (1943 and onwards they were OD green with yellow markings). Is this correct?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Brad

105mm Fuze.jpg

To answer your questions, yes almost all U.S. explosive ordnance up through 1942 was painted yellow, and then the color code changed to OD green body with yellow lettering as you have mentioned. The fuze appears to be the standard Point detonating superquick or delay depending on the setting on the side. The fuze is most likely one of the M51 models. The marks above the lettering on the projectile are most likely inspector stamps.

The U.S. uses a 3 letter code to identify its manufacturers. I tried to look up GRS, but it isn't listed in the books that I have that are more recent than WWII.

So the line of text is the Lot number, the year of manufacture, the manufacturer code, and the model number M1 which is the standard 105 Howitzer HE projectile, and lastly the Ordnance bomb mark.

Last edited:
HAZORD...
Would you have a photo of a 1942 period round that I could reference for the original markings?
I'd like my restoration to be as accurate as possible.

Cheers,
Brad

The old yellow painted items are very rare. I've never even seen one or a photo of a 105. Sorry

Would anyone have a photo of a 1942 period round that I could reference for the original markings?

As mentioned before, I'd like my restoration to be as accurate as possible.

Cheers,
Brad

Does your projectile have any center punch marks about two inches below the fuzewell? These would be the markings for the weight zone paint indicator spots.

No punch marks.
From what I've read (please correct me), the weight zone marks were introduced in 1943 along with the OD Green paint scheme.
Prior to 1943 (my projectile is dated 1942), the HE projectiles were yellow (body) with read markings. Red bands to indicate filling.

Does your projectile have any center punch marks about two inches below the fuzewell? These would be the markings for the weight zone paint indicator spots.

Your paint description is half correct. The projectile should be painted a flat (not gloss) yellow (school bus is the closest common shade). Lettering in Black not red. Red lettering is used on modern smoke ammunition and CS ammunition (post 1942).

Lettering should read: row ___1: 105H
_____________________row _2: TNT
_____________________row 3: SHELL M1

Last edited:
105mm M1 HE.jpg

Here is the graphic from TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammo from 1945. The color code is wrong, but it shows the lettering, location, and spacing. Just do black letters on Yellow projo body.

If I get a chance when I get home today I think I've got a 75mm with markings that I can photograph. I've got a yellow 105, but I believe it was from an early display. The early yellow paint is a different shade from most I've seen and it is unmarked.

Here are a couple of photos from my files at work, 75mm, 105mm and a 60mm.

75mm M48.jpg105mm early.jpgDSC_0183.jpg

HAZORD & US-Subs... Thanks!

The photos are great, will definitely aid in the restoration of my 105MM M1.

Cheers,
Brad