What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1944 ruck sack?

F

foubar

Hi all,
Its not ordnace,but might be of interest to someone and might shed some light for me.
My Dad gave me this back pack couple of years ago and it was given to him by a former WW2 soldier that fought against Romell in North Africa.
I dont know of any history other than that,and i dont know if this bag saw action in Africa either!I was told it was used during the war though.
So.the bag itself is good strong canvass with a rubber coating on the inside that is still intact and has not turned to powder.
The webbing is very substantial not worn at all and leather straps are in good condition too.
There is only very slight wear,and the evidence of the application of stitched badges maybe a union flag.
The steel frame is very good with original paint.
The bag is is fantastic condition and i use it often,because it is so comfey to wear.
I think you would agree its in great condition for its age.
I would also like to know how best to care for it.The best way to protect the rubber coating,leather straps (that appear a little dry).
Thank you for your interest.

Doug
p.s. Sorry for poor images my camera is bust,so i'm using my phone!

Attachments

• Photo0250.jpg
    Photo0250.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo0251.jpg
    Photo0251.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo0252.jpg
    Photo0252.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo0253.jpg
    Photo0253.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 56
Very nice rucksack,It is a Bergen Rucksack, had it origins in Norway,
before being adopted and produced in the UK during the war.
This rucksack was used by commando,s and airborne troops.
Keep it out of the light.

Very nice rucksack,It is a Bergen Rucksack, had it origins in Norway,
before being adopted and produced in the UK during the war.
This rucksack was used by commando,s and airborne troops.
Keep it out of the light.

thanks for info,wonder if anyone has pictures of soldiers carrying this??

regards.
Doug

Bergan Rucksack.

Thankyou gentlemen,
interesting stuff.Rubberised versions prob made for D-DAY landings then..

The one on ebay sold for 125 had a bit of damage and lace missing.
Ive seen em go from 50-150.
I think i should hold on to mine as its totally complete and in great condition.
I dont think i will use it anymore.
Thanks again.

Doug

p.s.
anyone got any preservation advice regarding the leather?

Saddle soap is pretty good for leather. Havnt looked but i am sure there would be plenty available on feebay. Have used it on my Sam Browne's and it does the job propper as they say.

Andy

You may want to experiment on some portion that is not within eye shot of the pack. This way you will be able to tell if it works or not. Some rubs like Mink Oil along with some Silicone sprays will change the color of the leather. Bottom line is just be careful on how you do it and where you do it to. For some reason that is weird on how I stated that last sentence, oh well.