What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1945 3 Pounder projectile markings

Falcon

These are the markings from one of the unbanded 1945 3 Pounder shot. I have a few questions about them.

3PR IINT/N LBA
LOT 1333 6/45 P

All have the same markings, although there are variations in the month and lot number.

What is meant by "NT/N" after the mark number?

Is "LBA" a maker's mark or is it something else?

Also, what does the "P" at the very end mean?

Thanks for any info.

Hi Falcon

This is purely a guess, but would "NT" stand for Night Tracer, and the following "N" for Naval? I suspect the "P" indicates Practice.

Roger.

good guess, its what it says in the 1945 volume. LBA I think is a maker who also made 2pr practice 1940, might have to wait for Tim on that one.

Hi Falcon

This is purely a guess, but would "NT" stand for Night Tracer, and the following "N" for Naval? I suspect the "P" indicates Practice.

Roger.

I agree with all the above. Day tracers were the turpentine/aniline dye liquid type and night tracers were the (now) conventional tracer composition in a metal body.

Falcon,

LBA - Lang Bridge, Accrington (Paradise Works) - Formed in 1857, made machinery for the textile and mining industries. Still going strong from what I can gather.

TimG