What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1inch aiming round

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
picked a 1 inch aiming round up at Pudsey today ,cut it when i got home,
base stamped B Vm (vickers maxim ?) no date markings

Attachments

• aDSC00336.jpg
    aDSC00336.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 91
  • aDSC00335.jpg
    aDSC00335.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 130
1" Aiming Rifle

No, not Vickers Maxim.

The round was manufactured by "B", Birmingham Metals and Munitions, and the "V" is for the Mark V version of the cartridge. The "M" is for the Morris version of the electric primer as opposed to the KN (Kings Norton) type. Both types were approved for the Mark V round.

Regards
TonyE

Thank you for explaining the markings Tony,any idea of age of this model

1 in Aiming round ID

mk V with M primer was issued from 1903 and had a black powder filling (there would be C on the base if cordite filled and the bullet would have a copper gas check). In 1910 the mk VI was introduced which was superceeded by the mk IC in 1913. Nice section, just need to add the black powder bit representing RFG.2 and the wadding of two white cardboard discs between which was placed a thick beeswax lubricated felt wad. Card about 1.6mm thick felt about 6.2mm. Not sure what people use to rep black powder, do you know anyone with a 1in wad punch?
2pr

2pr, don't know if my punches go up to 1", will check later. If not, I know I'll have some pipe laying around that can be sharpened that'll suffice.

thanks for the extra info,,ive found some felt discs that look the right size (polishing pads for dremel type hobby tools)

Another nice job Spott.
You must have quite some scrap brass in the workshop nowadays after all these cuts?

best

waff