What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 mills bombs

paul the grenade

heres a pair of unusual mills ithought I would share with all you Mills fans.
The left 36m is unusual in that it doesn't have the frag groove at the top.
The base plug is cast iron and the markings are a bit faint but it is dated 42. Lever stamps are tiny but could be DG& Co. It also appears to have the remenants of a pink band round the middle??? The body is marked HGB PSC (Paul Spence's Collection :tinysmile_fatgrin_t!!) Ha Ha.
The right gren is a 1ww No36 Cast on the body H&TV 1918 and on the cast iron base plug 9 18 HB. The lever is also marked H&TV Ltd. Whats unusual is the paint scheme. Gray at the top and yellow ochre at the bottom. I have been told these were grenades sold to Belgium after the 1ww and repainted in their markings. Can anyone confirm this??
Also the pin is an unusual one with a safety clip arangement. You have to give the pin a good twist clockwise before pulling it out.
Hope you like them
Paul.

Attachments

• pair of mills.jpg
    pair of mills.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 91
  • pair of mills 2.jpg
    pair of mills 2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 86
  • pair of mills 3.jpg
    pair of mills 3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 88
  • pair of mills 4.jpg
    pair of mills 4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 69
Hi Paul, very interesting Mills variants.
I've read that the safety clip was used specifically on training grenades.
Used in place of the standard pin as it was easily secured, removed and replaced.

Thanks for the pics!
Cheers,
Brad

Hi Paul,

nice grens, especially the unusual 36, one definately for the collection. PSC, Parkinson Stove Co Ltd, The Stechford, Birmingham.
The colouration is i am told, typically Belgian and the ringpull is a desighn that was tried and used during WW1, not just for Drill grens but was both costly to produce and could cause problems when grens were all bagged up together and they snagged each other as did hapen. Results rather unpleasant.

Andy

Belgian safety pin.

The safety pin shown on the No.36 in Belgian colours was asked for by the Belgian military in the summer of 1918. It was also trialled by the British Army, but was not a resounding success - bombs carried in sandbags became entangled, and genarally the pins were deemed to be too safe. See attached memos.

Tom.

Attachments

• French pins memo.jpg
    French pins memo.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Prost pins minute.jpg
    Prost pins minute.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 43
fine mills

Really awesome Mills bombs Paul........Dano P.S. Paul, 2 of the nicest Mills bombs i've laid eyes on!

Last edited:
They are both really nice grenades. The paint is quite interesting too. Breaks up a collection a bit. I did see a British Mills bomb with the strange pin earlier in the year but I can't remember where or what number Mills it was.

heres a pair of unusual mills ithought I would share with all you Mills fans.
The left 36m is unusual in that it doesn't have the frag groove at the top.
The base plug is cast iron and the markings are a bit faint but it is dated 42. Lever stamps are tiny but could be DG& Co. It also appears to have the remenants of a pink band round the middle??? The body is marked HGB PSC (Paul Spence's Collection :tinysmile_fatgrin_t!!) Ha Ha.
The right gren is a 1ww No36 Cast on the body H&TV 1918 and on the cast iron base plug 9 18 HB. The lever is also marked H&TV Ltd. Whats unusual is the paint scheme. Gray at the top and yellow ochre at the bottom. I have been told these were grenades sold to Belgium after the 1ww and repainted in their markings. Can anyone confirm this??
Also the pin is an unusual one with a safety clip arangement. You have to give the pin a good twist clockwise before pulling it out.
Hope you like them
Paul.

Hello Paul and all,
This pin is similar to the Czech RG Cv 5, (a re-useable training grenade smoke), Also on non re-usable British L83 A1 (training smoke).
As they are reputed to tangle with webbing, each other, and equipment I don't understand what's wrong with a cheap disposable split pin?
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• Czech 1a.jpg
    Czech 1a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 32 SMKa.jpg
    32 SMKa.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 17
Any for sale or help please

hI I AM STARTING TO COPLLECT MILLS BOMBS CAN YOU ADVISE WHERE I CAN START WHO SELLS THEM AS I BOUGHT 1 AT THE WAR AND PIECE SHOW AND HAVE NOT FOUND ANY SINCE

Paul Grimshaw
01625 660 660 work
paulg@edgarbrothers.com

Nice grenades Paul. I have a Parkinson Stove 36 from WW2 and they were still using the same style mould. Mine has the same lack of groove as well. It also has the number 17 above the PSC mark on the front.

Will post a photo later if anyone is interested?

John

Here we are Paul. PSC December 1940.

John

Attachments

• PSC 1940.jpg
    PSC 1940.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 21