What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" mortar - HE or smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadett Frisco

Hi there!
I have found some pictures of a 2" mortar bomb and i am wondering, if it is smoke or HE.
can anyone help?

it seems, like the first band is green, then comes red...and i think in the middle of the shell is a white band.

img_4010.jpg

img_4011.jpg

High explosive mortar

IT IS HIGH EXPLOSIVE !

You must treat it as extremely dangerous due to its age and condition-get it reported now.

No expert but

Either way I am no expert on Mortars but even a bursting smoke will have an explosive content that can be deadly!

i just have the pictures, not the mortar!

but i thought, it is an 2" smoke bursting mortar, because of the markings?!

I am no expert but I believe a red band and white band midway is a bursting white phosphorous smoke. All the pages I have on these are a green painted body though. Is it possible that the rest of the body was green? But only showing at the top now?

I think these still contain HE too, for the bursting action, though I am not 100%

Bursting charge included!

Yes Pointblank as some odd thing happened when I hit the "submit reply" button, however to add to your input on this item even WP will have a charge of powerful explosive to "burst" the body to spread the W/P over a proscribed area-and we all know how nasty White Phosphorous is:eek:

ah, i see!
so it is "both", an high explosive smoke mortar?
if the shell was once green, noone could say it now in this condition.

but i was confused about, what this thing is!

so, you would say: Phosphor smoke bursting mortar?

then it would have an explosioncentre, too...and i think, this coukd be deadly!

right?

Last edited:
ah, i see!
so it is "both", an high explosive smoke mortar?
if the shell was once green, noone could say it now in this condition.

but i was confused about, what this thing is!

so, you would say: Phosphor smoke bursting mortar?

then it would have an explosioncentre, too...and i think, this coukd be deadly!

right?

Pretty much. Has the potential to rip a few limbs off and scatter them, then coat whatever's left with burning patches of phosphorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.