What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There was a HE Mk 2 T shell for the 2pdr gun.

It had a base fuze No 243 fitted.

I am not aware of a 2pdr AP/HE shell though.

Here are a few pics of my 2pr AP/HE round, base fuze is No 281. Hope this is what you are after. Empty and inert.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 2pr AP HE.jpg
    2pr AP HE.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 2pr AP HE 02.jpg
    2pr AP HE 02.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2pr AP HE 04.jpg
    2pr AP HE 04.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 2pr AP HE 03.jpg
    2pr AP HE 03.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 95
Weasels projectile is the 'Shell, Q.F., Armour-Piercing, 2-PR., Mark I'.

glevums information seems to come from Ian V. Hoggs British & American artillery of WW2, Hogg seems to have confused a based fuze Australian round with the Shell HE HV/T, Mk 2 which is the same projectile used with the Naval 2 PR.

A 1951 dated Daimler armoured car manual list, Shot APCBC/T Mk 9. Shot AP/T Mk 9. Shot AP/T MK 7,9 & 10. Shell HE HV/T, Mk 2.

Last edited:
Hi Quatermass,
Thankyou for adding that, i have a solid AP so maybe wrongly assumed as this had a bursting charge and base fuze it would be AP HE am i wrong ? was there a 2pr designated as 2pr AP HE.
Best Weasel.

Hi Andy,

According to Hogg the solid AP shot replaced the AP Mk1 with the bursting charge that you have.

The plain steel shot was easier to manufacture and just as effective.

I have not seen a shell designated 2pdr AP/HE, but yours could be considered a APHE I suppose.

Regards,

Will.

I guess that AP HE isn't an offical British army term, at least not for this projectile. The official name comes from the 'Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 2-PR., Marks IX and X. 1938.

I'm just being a pedant for the correct name!

Thankyou Will and Quatermass for your reply, so although it contained a small bursting charge it was never considered an APHE i stand corrected thankyou for giving the correct designation. You learn something new every day.
Best regards Weasel.