What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pdr AP round driving band

ckolonko

Hello all,

After much searching I've finally found a 2 pdr case for a 2 pdr AP round I purchased last year. However, the round just doesn't look right without its copper driving band. Is there any way to replace the driving band?

Attachments

• 12509638_10153869677979645_727115882038999362_n.jpg
    12509638_10153869677979645_727115882038999362_n.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 74
that ap looks long for ATK or is it the photo angle? anyway 2pr can be rebanded with copper pipe and dies to swage it into the groove. its close enough to look good but not quite right to a close inspection.

I'll give that a try 2pounder. It could be the photograph but the projectile did look long to me also. The round is lightly inscribed with 'MK IX & X GUNS' which I assumed was the 2 pdr Anti-tank gun. Any further information is greatly received.

Is that Mk IX and X GUNS on the side of the projectile or the base of the case?

A cheap and simple way to do it, provided you are not a perfectionist and can live with it, would be to fill up the driving band groove with a proprietary filler and perhaps make it a bit proud, then go to a garden centre and obtain some copper coloured anti slug tape, used for preventing slugs from climbing up pots and eating your pot plants, particularly Hostas, and wind it round and round then trim it to shape.

The marking is on the projectile. Funnily enough I've settled for a similar fix! I had some copper tape around that I use when wiring guitars. I've wrapped it around which gives the right impression. I'll certainly look into using a filler though. Thanks.

Are the stampings present on the cartridge case base?
If it is No 2 Mk 1 it is for all 2pr Mk 9 and 10 guns with projectiles fitted.
If it is No 5 Mk 1 it is for 2 pr Mk 10B gun projectiles (squeezebore).