What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pdr Fuze

rnixartillery

I picked a 2 pdr projectile up some time ago missing its fuze and drive band.
A friend of mine who is a retired engineer and a very clever bloke devised a method to put a new drive band back on so I am now looking for the correct fuze for it.

Could any one help by telling me what fuze I should be looking for or if anyone has the right fuze for sale !
Am I right in thinking its an HE.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

Attachments

• DSCF3781.jpg
    DSCF3781.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF3784.jpg
    DSCF3784.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF3785.jpg
    DSCF3785.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 74
Hi Rob, looks like a WW1 era 2 PR Naval HE projectile (40x157R). Projectile should be 128mm (without fuze).
If so you want a No 120 or 121 fuze, along with myself and at least one other menber on this forum!

What are the markings on the body?

I picked a 2 pdr projectile up some time ago missing its fuze and drive band.
A friend of mine who is a retired engineer and a very clever bloke devised a method to put a new drive band back on so I am now looking for the correct fuze for it.

Could any one help by telling me what fuze I should be looking for or if anyone has the right fuze for sale !
Am I right in thinking its an HE.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

Rob I may be wrong but the photograph shows very little taper towards the top of the projectile. I don't want to get your hopes up too much but if you find the projectile is 125mm long with a thread diameter of 30mm you've got yourself a Mk V aircraft projectile which is MASSIVELY rare. If the measurements aren't that then sorry to get you all excited.
Attached a few photos of a Mk V complete with 131 fuze, also a fuze that everyone is looking for.
If its a 121 fuze (smaller than 30mm thread diameter but can't remember how small) you're after I've got one in the spares box, its not brilliant but would do the job. Don't have a spare 131 though.
Dave.

Attachments

• Mk V aircraft gun projectile 001.jpg
    Mk V aircraft gun projectile 001.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Mk V aircraft gun projectile 002.jpg
    Mk V aircraft gun projectile 002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Mk V aircraft gun projectile 003.jpg
    Mk V aircraft gun projectile 003.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Mk V aircraft gun projectile 004.jpg
    Mk V aircraft gun projectile 004.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 45
Threads on the No. 120/121 fuze have a diameter of a little over 26mm.

Another possibility is that the projectiles a WW2 era Naval 2 PR practise missing its plug.

Dimensions should confirm what you've got (hope for your sake its the Mk5).

Last edited:
The projectile is covered in marks,so here are a few :

2PR II/N RL

FF

BS

It measures 128mm long and the thread dia is 30mm and there is 19mm from the bottom of the drive band to the base of the projectile.

Any guesses !

Rob....................rnixartillery :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Last edited:
Any chance of photographs?

The 'N' indicates Naval use.

I've remeasured the WW1 HE projectile, which come in at 128.8mm.

A WW2 40x157R HV projectile is 125.5mm.

The diameter of the 'top' for both is around 32mm.

Is the base solid?

Just measured the Mk V very carefully.

126mm long
Bottom of band to base is 19mm
Thread 30mm

Your projectile looks to be very close to my Mk V and for the sake of 2mm difference in length, well variations do happen

BUT

Does anyone have measurements for the rounds Quatermass suggests, I don't have any of them to measure.

What are the other marks on the projectile. The ones on mine are as follows:

2pr
BS
RW
LOT22
16/10/17
RUDGE WHITWORTH LIMITED
H
X
L
(plus loads of arrows)

If its not a Mk V its very close!

Dave.

Here is a pic of the base which is solid,I have double checked the measurments and are correct as posted before 128mm long,thread dia 30mm and 19 mm from drive band to proj base.
There are a few arrows stamped and three diamond shapes with the number '3' in two of them and 'YZ' in the other.

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Attachments

• DSCF3787.jpg
    DSCF3787.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 42
Hum I'm out of ideas now.
My only other comment is that the crimping groove seems deeper on yours than on the MkV.
Don't suppose you have a 131 fuze to try in it do you?
Perhaps someone else out there has one they can photograph?
Dave.

Sorry Dave,I don't have any 2 pdr fuzes.
As you know I collect land Artillery so if this is not for the 2 pdr land carriage I will see if anyone wants a swap.I am looking for 2 and 6 pdr anti-tank projectiles.

If anyone wants a swap........W.H.Y ?

Thanks for your help and interest.

Rob.................rnixartillery.

2pdr proj.

Looks like 2pdr. naval 40x161R proj without its rounded steel plug,dia.at mouth 36mm HOPE I AM WRONG AND ITS A Mk5

2pr proj.

Sorry but my money is on it being one of a type of practice proj, 2pr navy WWII. check and see if below the thread there is a step to a narrower diameter, if there is then a 131 fuze will not screw in as the extension below its thread is too big. 2pr