What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Pdr Practice Rounds

peregrinvs

Hi,

New boy reporting in. Some of you may have bumped into me before at the WWII Reenacting and Great War forums.

I attach a couple of pictures of what I believe are WWII 2pdr Pom-Pom practice rounds. I bought them at Beltring last month and have finished derusting them.

I wonder if anyone could give me some more details as I haven't seen any like this whilst browsing through the forum. I'm also intending to repaint them - I assume the correct scheme is black with a yellow band? Can someone confirm this and / or provide an illustration?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 86
2 pound projectiles

Hi Mark, I too cannot help with ID on the 2pdrs, but welcome to BOCN and I assure someone in here will help..........Dano

Many thanks for the welcomes.

I forgot to add that the caps are painted in gold (?) paint and I think it is original. One has the paint directly applied to the metal. The other seems to have some sort of smooth ceramic material over the metal (about 2/3 missing) with the paint on top of that.

One is stamped '2pr MKIII' and the other looks like '2pr MKII', although it may have lost an 'I' to corrosion. They also both have 'P' stamped on them. There are other less legible markings as well.

I bought them both from the stall at Beltring that I think is linked to the 'Dugup' website.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:
resto thread please

Hi prergrinvs, If you do restore the projectiles, It is nice, and most informative to some of us members if you can restore it in steps and post you project progress in here showing pics as your project takes shape. I love to see other collectors methods of restoration, and like it or not I always learn from the most helpful threads, Happy collecting............Dano

2pr practice

They certainly look like what you think they are. There were various forms of practice shell and yours is one of them. As to why the nose plugs have a ceramic type coating my guess would be that someones put filler and paint on it to look like a brass fuze. As to final colour black with a yellow band would be correct least ways that is what mine are after looking at the Naval colours for 1945 ish.
2pr

They certainly look like what you think they are. There were various forms of practice shell and yours is one of them. As to why the nose plugs have a ceramic type coating my guess would be that someones put filler and paint on it to look like a brass fuze. As to final colour black with a yellow band would be correct least ways that is what mine are after looking at the Naval colours for 1945 ish.
2pr

Thanks for the confirmation. I hadn't thought of the paint / filler being there for a 'mock brass' effect. Interesting. Would the hollow internal cavity held anything?

Could I trouble you for the measurements of the approx width of the yellow band and its distance above the drive band? I was thinking of using Humbrol 33 Matt Black for the body and 154 Insignia Yellow for the band. All other suggestions gratefully accepted. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Cheers,
Mark

Hi prergrinvs, If you do restore the projectiles, It is nice, and most informative to some of us members if you can restore it in steps and post you project progress in here showing pics as your project takes shape. I love to see other collectors methods of restoration, and like it or not I always learn from the most helpful threads, Happy collecting............Dano

Yes, I'm happy to do so. I have a bit of experience with this sort of thing when I restored and repainted a WWI British 18pdr shrapnel round a few years back.

(Still not finished - needs stencils - could any kind person provide a nice clear illustration?:tinysmile_fatgrin_t)

I also have a complete WWI French 75mm shrapnel and a WWI German 7.7cm shrapnel (pending finding a fuse) awaiting restoration as well.

Oh, to have more spare time... :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Cheers,
Mark

2 Pounders.

I have enclosed a couple of pictures of my 2 pounders, I take it these were practice rounds the same as yours as the nose plug is just that - a plug! When I got them I painted them black with a white top just for the sake of it - I really should get them restored and painted up correctly. its been a while since they were out on display....
The bare metal one is stamped - VI 2Pdr HV BSP T&S 2/44 LOT 33

Unfortunately none of them came with driving bands - something else to work on!

Attachments

• shells 117.jpg
    shells 117.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 78
  • shells 118.jpg
    shells 118.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 53
  • shells 119.jpg
    shells 119.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 46
Too bad that somebody looking to make a few cents, stole your rotating bands.

2pr practice

Bit of a late reply, British practice shot or shell of this period would be black with a yellow band around the body, .25 inch wide for 2prs. I cant tell you how high up exactly but about half way. Pale yellow, someone will know the exact colours, but I just used satin black car spray and a pale yellow but spray it into the lid and apply with a brush. Early stuff was bands were hand painted but later it was done by rollers in jigs, could play around and try to replicate that. As to replacing bands there was quite a long thread on this but cant remember where, might be worth using the search on the tool bar along the top. Some hollow practice were filled with a pitch like substance. 2pr

Thanks for that. I put some satin black paint I had on them on Saturday, but wasn't very happy with the result - the paint had a very plastic-like look to it, so I removed it. I suppose the word 'Plasticote' on the label might have been a bit of a give away. ;-)

Anyway, I shall hunt down some proper Humbrol or suchlike model paint and have another go. Pictures to follow in due course.

Mark

2pr practice

My guess is these came from the same source as tons of others ie the mystery crane counter weight.

2 pounder practice.

Funny that you should mention the crane counterweight theory, because thats where my four came from!