What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Pdr Proof?

racefiets

Is this a proof round or a practice round. The head is made by VSM and dated 8/41, paint and stenciling doesn't look original to me. It looks like the head is originaly crimped to the case (dated 1944 and the primer is dated 1955)

Attachments

• 2Pdr-01.jpg
    2Pdr-01.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2Pdr-04.jpg
    2Pdr-04.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2Pdr-03.jpg
    2Pdr-03.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 2Pdr-05.jpg
    2Pdr-05.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 49
2pr proof

General observations; black paint is too good for age, white stencilling also too good, font looks wrong, never seen the maker stencilled on. The primer date has been damaged by someone removing the primer and their tool slipping, cant read it from the photo but doesn't look like contemperary with the case. I think it is a proof projectile. Service ammunition I would expect to have very similar dates on case, primer and projectile but proof of artillery sized guns and ammunition for it is a field I've no knowledge of so dates could vary.

Proof

The projectile and case look ok, although the band could be a replacement(unless there any stamps on it to disprove). I think the primer should be a no5 as the no12 is for the long 2pdr case and the bofors 40mm. So its not original. The paint looks new. Still a nice round.Tony.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

It a Naval 2 PR proof round representing the H.V. projectile.
Looks like the projectile body is lightly pitted so I'd suggest its a repaint.
It could be the original crimp but i'm not sure on that either, the only original crimped 2 PR I have is much tighter looking than the one in the photograph.

I'm more in favour of a practice -

projectile, flat so that it wouldn't travel as far as the normal kind. I rather think that an actual Proof round for proofing a gun in the factory would be a scarce animal. Though a regular projectile can be used with an over charge as well. There should be something in the books someplace to sort this out.
Just a thought:tinysmile_cry_t2:

Thanks for the replies, what I find strange is that the side of the body has some small pitting but on the top it is in prestine shape. No pitting at all only the small stamp on top.
Is it normal for a 2 Pdr round to have this many stamps on the body?
I will check tonight when I get home but I don't think there are any stamps on the band.

Last edited:

Gordon as far as im aware, flat head practice shot were only used in land service,and always have a tracer,the proofs ive seen dont,although i may be wrong! 2 pdr Proof shot are often found stamped for naval use. The reason i assume is because naval guns have a high rate of fire and the barrels wear much quicker than a manually loaded tank or a/tank gun. I would imagine every gun would be proof tested after a barrel change or overhaul?? All my 2 pdr naval projectiles are well stamped,unlike land service ap shot,some of mine have very few stamps,probably because there bloody hard. Anyone else have any ideas?Tony.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Makes sence to me -

I thought proof rounds were a factory deal though, I can't see a barrel leaving the shop for issue without being proofed ? If one was to burst on proof firing it would be a real mess in the water jacket on board. Is there no reference to this shot in a manual of the period ? This doesn't mean there aren't RN proof shot, I think though they are used on land, at sea the flat design would be unnecessary .

I thought proof rounds were a factory deal though, I can't see a barrel leaving the shop for issue without being proofed ? If one was to burst on proof firing it would be a real mess in the water jacket on board. Is there no reference to this shot in a manual of the period ? This doesn't mean there aren't RN proof shot, I think though they are used on land, at sea the flat design would be unnecessary .

Proof rounds aren't shown in any of the war time manuals that I have that have service ammunition listed.
I wonder if 'proofs' would also have been used when the gun was tested after overhaul of the recoil system/breech and also for the testing of different propellant loading etc?
The round racefiets posted has the weight stamped in pounds, ounces & drams which is not what you would see on a 'normal' round, but is perhaps what you'd expect on a proof that’s heavier than a service round of the same calibre.
I can't be 100% on the I.D. because I don't have the documentary evidence but it does seem to make sence to me that it’s a proof projectile.

P.S. I've got a projectile with exactly the same markings as the one shown so it not that rare either!

proof

Watching the box the other day there was a series of programmes about the home front (very good watching) and in one it showed women machining gun parts didnt say what but from pictures about 2pr, the commentry then said that guns were tested on special factory ranges! Also when Rolls royce were developing their 40mm gun it was tested on a factory range but they used pionted proj. maybe because the feed better in automatic guns. I too have a similar shot. 2pr