What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Pounder AP types

StielGr

Although my collection is mainly all German anti-tank I like to have a few British equivalents for comparison.

On that note I have 2 different 2 pdr AP projectiles.
The first one is marked as an AP2PRVIT and the other as a AP2PRVT.

From my own observations it looks like the only difference is the tracer design on the base.

I recognise the Tracer stencil T with the half circle but what does the red circled 657 and 1329 mean?

Many thanks
PC

Attachments

• IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2560.jpg
    IMG_2560.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 51
Hi StielGr,I know very little about 2pdr,s but would I be right in thinking that the V is a Mk,5 and the VI is a Mk,6,I apologise if I am stating the obvious,
Regards,Don,

StielGr thanks for your beautiful exhibits shown!
All models (Mk) AP 2pdr-only difference is the tracer design on the base.
I found 5 different types of tracer from the AP 2pdr.
The AP2PRVT design tracer different varieties of 1941 and 1942.

Thank you Der Uhu. Yes Don I knew about the different marks it was just to find out more information.

I know there are plenty of 2 pounder experts on the forum so I would love to see pictures of the other Mk types please.

Hi StielGr :)

I have a few of these at home (literally only a few as I don't collect each Mk), but off the top of my head I cannot remember the Mks I have.
I believe they went beyond Mk.X, but I'm also strangely short on 2PR documentation.

As for the Red Circled 657 and 1329 I think the stock, no brain engaged, reply would have been manufacturing LOT numbers being displayed in two different ways by differing manufacturers. I don't know for certain that's the case, but ill see what I can find when I get home and will post some more to this thread.

As you say there are some experts on this forum...so hopefully we can lure a few!

cheers

Hi SG, Nice shot, the left one going by the /C stencil and the stamped band seems to be Canadian. The meaning of the stencils I think?? can be found in the downloads section,in the Handbook of ammunition.(also in the inter service ammo handbook) All the marks of A/P shot Mks 1 to 8 and 10 have an integral stemmed cavity,but there are not mark numbers for these specifically,the shell MK nos relate to the shell as a whole,and seem to relate to minor design changes which obviously can include the trace element. There are various methods of filling,hence the different base cavities. If you have a shot with the external no 6 tracer it will be a practice shot.I will try to get some pictures of the various types over xmas to help confuse the issue more!

Thank you Richard and also Der Uhu again for the pictures.

I had assumed that the red circled number had more meaning than a lot number but I am more used to german stuff where everything is standardized and much easier to follow.

PC