What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Pr Blank

hangarman

I have what looks like a 2 pr blank, fully crimped still but empty and minus its primer. Head stamp is
2PR No1 MKII
LOT R.L.
NJ (in a box)
N

Did the Navy use blanks in their pom poms?

There is no lot number though. Can anyone shed any light on it?
Cheers
Hangarman

Hi,

I'm not so certain it's for a depth charge thrower. Please consider the attached images of a DCT case I have. It is basically a 40x158R case, marked "2Pr No.1, 1942", but the case has been cut down (to 125mm) and has been re-stamped in June 1944 for the 9.5" Thornycroft depth charge thrower (marked as such at the 12 o'clock position). The primer is missing.
I hope the markings are clear as I had to drastically reduce the image size AND quality in order to fit the 97.7KB JPEG file size limit (yes, sorry guys, this is a bit of a BOCN pet peeve of mine; hint, hint. ;) ). The 9.5" part is difficult to read, as the "9." is very faint.

The other picture is of interest too, and clearly shows a phenomenon for which I'd like to see an explanation myself: the shortening and the bulge near the upper part of the case. I've tried to find out if the case was cut down in order to be used for the depth charge thrower. The only thing I managed to find out was that the case should be "somewhat adapted to fit a spigot mechanism". I hope it has the proper length.

Anyone who knows for sure?

Cheers,
Olafo

PS: For what it's worth: when trying to research this case I think I came across two different DCT mechanisms using 2Pr cases. I'm not certain what the cases for the other type would look like, and if they'd be similarly marked...

Attachments

• 2pr_huls_bodemstempel_small.jpg
    2pr_huls_bodemstempel_small.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 56
  • 2pr_huls_zijkant_small.jpg
    2pr_huls_zijkant_small.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Fully crimped ?

Hangarman you state "fully crimped" in your post, any chance of a picture of the item as I have not seen a "crimped" 2 Pounder case before.:confused:
Many thanks.

2pr_blank_002.jpg
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/showimage.php?i=6977&c=580

2pr_blank_003.jpg
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/showimage.php?i=6978&c=580

2pr_blank_005.jpg

Hi Chris, here we are .
Phew!
Hangarman

hi ogreve,i have a 2pr blank/depth charge thrower cartridge in my collection which is almost certainly not a cut down 2pr case,it measures 70mm in length and the top 15mm is coned inwards.the base is marked 2pr 1 & 11 guns & 9.5in d.c.t and dated 1930.

dct

please use the search facility as there has been some posting on 9.5 in dct cases before, for info they come the same length as the 158mm 2pr pom pom AA case. The best known shortened case is the sub cal HA variant which has a knurled rim. My guess is that the crimped case is either a blank or a clearing charge to clear the barrel if a projectile lodges in it when extracting a live round. Never seen one nor reference to one but logic indicates they probably existed. 2pr.

Barrel Clearance Round ?

OK guys heres one for thought-it could be a "barrel clearance" round for the 2 pounder !

Very unusual and very rare if it is.

Thanks very much Hangarman for the excellent pictures, I have never seen one until now but have heard of one being made-could this be one of them??

I fully agree with 2 Pr on this one.

Last edited:
9.5in dct

in my last post i was not asking a question i was stating a fact,ogreves cartridge is indeed a clearing blank for the 2pr pom pom, my cartridge IS for the 9.5in d.c.t, during my service i have handled literally hundreds of them many in their original crates clearly marked CARTRIDGE PROPELLING FOR 9.5IN D.C.T.