What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 PR HV Mk 1 projectile

Quatermass

Picked this up recently. Its the first 2 PR HV Mk I projectile I've found.
No sign of a P so presumable not practice?
Threaded to take a tracer/igniter.
Markings:

2PR HV
I.T/N
RL
BS
12/40​

Interesting way in which the nose is attached to the body, every second
pin? is missing.
Do any members have an more information on this projectile?
Thanks.

2PRHVI.jpg2PRHVI close.jpg2PRHVI close2.jpg

Theres a special case Tony?
A fine BOCN member has identified this as an illuminating shell, something i hadn't even considered!

(see post #9 below)

Last edited:
Theres a special case Tony?

Yep - the 40x438R (see below) - photos from this article on my website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/37-40mm.htm

37-40mmWW2.jpg

2pdrHV.jpg

Thanks Tony, isn't i more likely to be a navy 40x158R HV projectile? (I'd love it if it was for the Pipsqueak!)

DD(L)19988 Cartridge QF 2Pr SV

Sorry this is such a poor drawing but the design nomenclature might be of interest.

DD(L)19988 Cartridge, QF, 2 Pr HV.jpg

I too thought this was naval. My two examples are both marked 2pr HV WP IT/NBS 1941,42' The nose is deffinitely different. What in the markings would determine this as illuminating? Mine are correct with the 158mm. As I said it is deffinitely different on the nose than mine however.

There's only one Pipsqueak case that I'm aware of, there may be more but they are certainly being kept well hidden. The one Tony posted in his article was John Carlins, I understand it was brought into a militaria fair one day, I bought it several years ago and then swapped it out of my collection and now its abroad. I have never seen any photos of another specimen. If you look at this link there is a design drawing showing the case and apds projectile.
If anyone else out there has an example I'd be interested in seeing pictures of it.
Dave.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/36037-40-X-438-(2-pounder-HV)?highlight=pipsqueak

Star Shell 2-pdr

This is a nose ejection star shell. It has an H.E. shell body filled with a star instead of high explosive. A dummy fuze is retained by weakened
studs. A No. 1 or 3 Igniter is fitted and a burst pellet is superimposed.

Action

The Igniter actuates the burster pellet. The resulting explosion ignites and ejects the star through the nose of the shell.
There is no parachute. With the No. 1 Igniter the star is ejected at 3,000 yards. With the No. 3 Igniter the range is 5,000 yards.
The time of burning of the star is about 4 seconds.

1945 Handbook on Ammunition BR932

Last edited:
I too thought this was naval. My two examples are both marked 2pr HV WP IT/NBS 1941,42' The nose is deffinitely different. What in the markings would determine this as illuminating? Mine are correct with the 158mm. As I said it is deffinitely different on the nose than mine however.

Could you post pictures SHAKY?

Ah - mental block! When I saw 2pr HV I immediately thought of Pipsqueak, but yes, this must be for the naval pom-pom. Of course 1940 is far too early for Pipsqueak.

D2(l)so6n

Another poor picture from a poor original. The 'not for manufacture' endorsement refers to the fact that this series of drawings was not to be used for manufacturing purposes.

D2(L)SO6N Cartridge QF 2 Pr Star.JPGD2(L)SO6N Cartridge QF 2 Pr Star part.jpg

These came to me at three different times throughout the past year. First the unpainted projo, then the casing, then the painted projo popped up. Are these hard to come by? Or just depending on your location ?

Nothings easy to find these days! The fuze is probably the hardest part to find followed closely by the body, cases are common.