What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Pr Question

Gspragge

Premium Member
I see various kinds of 2 Pr projectiles over here. Every one including myself
gets confused between what is a 2 Pr AP for the long AT gun case and various 2 Pr. solids for the PomPom. Are they similar and is the 2 PR AA PD used in the AT gun as HE in some form. I can never sort it out ~

2pounders

Saw this post a few days ago and hoped someone more knowledge able than me would reply. Alas no so at the risk of being corrected here goes.

The 2prAA (40x158R) never had a solid pointed projectile. Early shell were time fuzed or common pointed shell base fuzed but by WWII all were HE PD fuzed with an aluminium impact nose fuze. Various types of practice inert shell existed and some were tracer. Even the loadings in this case for the S gun in aircraft had a hollow AP shell.
The 2pr ATK (40x304R) started late 1930s with a solid AP T then made the usual progression to APCBC T, and so on to APCNR T (?) which is the Littlejohn squeeze bore version late WWII. After WWII this round was used in armoured cars and had an HE shell which if not the same as the AA one looks very similar.

A long and careful look through all the posts on '2pr' would no doubt put meat on the bones of the above and note I have chosen to ignore the less common 2pr rounds. 2pr