What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" trench mortar

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Whilst going through some old papers I found the document below.

Capture.jpg

I don't know where the document comes from and there is no key. My question is .. what is the 2" TMB b) rod for?

For when using the Temple silencer.

Thanks Snufkin, something I've never heard of before. Taken from Wikipedia ...

"Provision was made in mid-1916 for attachment of the "Temple silencer" at the muzzle,intended to reduce the flash and noise generated on firing, which at the short ranges the mortar operated at was quickly noticed by the enemy and invited artillery response. This required the use of bombs with a special piston attached to the tail which was retained in the barrel by the silencer on firing, and hence sealed the muzzle after the bomb tail left the barrel. This had the major disadvantage of causing the barrel to overheat during prolonged daylight firing, and the silencer was only used at night.

Do you perchance have any pictures?

From the 2" TM handbook:

"The Temple Silencer consists of a steel cap having two handles and furnished with coned segments provided with expanding springs and spring guides. When screwed fully home on the muzzle of the mortar the segments are contracted to a bore of 1.51 inches diameter.
A special stick 1.5-inch diameter and enlarged at the front end to fit the service bomb socket is provided for use with the silencer. The rear end of the stick is prepared with a central tapped hole for the reception of a1/4-inch brass screw by means of which the gas check is attached to the stick immediately before loading."

"Continuous rapid fire with the mortar is not possible when using the silencer, owing to the abnormal heating of the mortar due to the confinement of the gases in the bore. Fire at the rate of one round per minute can be maintained for five or six rounds."

Last edited:
Thanks to all for this excellent information. I have often wondered why my 2" toffee apple has a reduced width stick. Photo shows the stick widening out, inside the area of neck damage.

Toffee apple.jpg