What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 mm MADSEN

It is Finnish casing.I dont know what that TU marking means.

It is refurbished by Tikkakoski(TK) in 44 at Finland. Order number 15 of year 44.

Last edited:
If the basic case is of Finnish origin TU could be Vilho Tuomen Konepaja ( Vilho Tuomi Engineering Works in Turku ). This company is listed in Army ordnance components supplier list in 1944 but I have never seen any item made by this company nor even heard of such. The company was said to use abreviation TU.

Thank you very much jiipee76!
Thank you very much Tmine35!
This form inside the cartridge just in Finland.

Tell me what is meant by a symbol: 1, 2, 3, 4?
Which manufacturer to put them?
MADSEN TU (3).jpgклеймо.JPGклеймо 2.jpg

These casings are both finnish,T-marking on right side casing means it is Tikkakoski made casing.Tikkakoski ONLY made Madsen casings in 1942,in other years 1943,44 they refurbished casings from other makers.

I believe these markings 1,2,3 tell about primer type.Number 3 for example means Berdan type primer and so on.

Did you get projectiles also with these casings? Casings are not tough to find,but finding proper projectiles... :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Last edited:
It is Oy Ammus logo on those casings.

Oy Ammus and Oy Sytytin were owned by same owner,firms joined together in 1959 and were known Ammus-Sytytin OY for a short time.

Last edited:
849.jpgYes, I have projectiles with these casings.
I correctly identified?
HE-T ----- 20 it pekr - Vj5,5 16/18-M
Practical AP-T ------ ? (housing - black and white stripe)
As he correctly called on Finland?
848.jpg

Last edited:
It is Swiss Oerlikon made HE-T 126gramms.Finland used them also.They were complete rounds with Oerlikon Oe marked casings.

Other one looks like Tikkakoski made older model AP-T.It was painted blue with white stripe,color was blue laquer like color which have disappeared.

Last edited:
Color is near original.It is 156gramm(up to 159gramm) Tikkakoski made older type AP-T projectile with more flat head shape.Later models were more "sharp" from the head.

I have one 20x138B caliber AP round which is fully in original color.It is more shiny/thin layer of laquer type color on it.Not real paint.Projectile metal is visible trough the laquer.

SDC12801.jpgSDC12804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
20 мадсен в.JPG20 мм Madsen Эрликон Шве.JPG
Thank you again!
Sorry for the poor knowledge of the language!
I should add ...

Last edited:
Color is near original.It is 156gramm(up to 159gramm) Tikkakoski made older type AP-T projectile with more flat head shape.Later models were more "sharp" from the head.

I have one 20x138B caliber AP round which is fully in original color.It is more shiny/thin layer of laquer type color on it.Not real paint.Projectile metal is visible trough the laquer.

View attachment 56794

Jiipee76, are you sure as for the factory-genuity of this paint? Those I had seen in the past had a white band too for the tracer and the driving band was never covered with blue paint which was also thinner. Is this maybe a refurbished one from a field depot?

Here some Finnish 20mm AP-shells. All surfaces and remains of laquer are original. From left 20mm Madsen, 3 pcs 20x138B and 2 pcs 20x113. There are small differences in blue tone, possibly due to age or other reasons.
As EOD already noted laquer does not cover driving band in any of these.

Attachments

• 20mm.jpg
    20mm.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 40
Jiipee76, are you sure as for the factory-genuity of this paint? Those I had seen in the past had a white band too for the tracer and the driving band was never covered with blue paint which was also thinner. Is this maybe a refurbished one from a field depot?

As you can see in Reinos pictures,proper blue is not thick.It is more like laquer layer than real paint layer.And white band is only on AP-T models(it indicates that projectile has tracer),mine is full blue later model solid AP made by Tikkakoski.I received my round directly from army personel.It came to me with italian BPD brass casing,not the german laquered iron casing which pictures show.

Same guy sold me this Madsen casing with Danish HE-T M38 projectile.
madsenm38-2.jpg

Last edited: