What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 Pounder APCBC-T

Bockscar

Never thought I would see one in the flesh, so when one came up I had to go for it! ( thanks Dave!)
Probably as big as I would like to go in the collection as these things are Heavy!
the markings on this one read;

(stamped on) AP/CBC 20 PR. MK 1/2. 37
MA 8. 68. LOT 1

(printed on,twice) AMC ?? 20 PR MK 1/2
LOT 1. 8 9 63. 37. AR ??

(painted on, in red) red band under piercing cap, red circle with #7 in centre.

Projectile appears to be black in colour overall.
The tracer element at the rear has been burnt out intentionally. The rubber skirt at the rear is in fine condition. ( What was the thinking behind this? a further means of obturation? Answers welcome!

image.jpg

Bockscar

Hi Bockscar,

I also have one of these (from the same source as yours). However, the stamping reads MA 11 68 AAA, and the stencils read:-
AP/CBC 20PR MK1/2
LOT 4 MA 11-68 AAA
There is also a stencil L79 MY 8/69

Are these Australian? The style of marking does not seem to be obviously British. If non-British, what is it doing over here?

Regards,
Roger.

Ydnum 303,
Good call on the Australian connection...it certainly could be a possibility
I suppose this is the bit where the research starts!

yours,
Bockscar.

Hello, hope you don't mind me butting in but I got hold of one of these last week. Mine is marked-
AP/CBC 20PR MK1/2
MA 9 68 37 1

it does have an interesting story behind it, it came via a third party from a guy that has a farm ( or worked on a farm ) on or near Tatton park in Cheshire. He was clearing a river with a JCB and when cleaning up the bank he found 30 of these all stacked together ! This was a few years ago and I have had a good search to see why they might have been in the area to no avail. Not being an expert can someone tell me the era they are from and what weapon they would have been fired ? Mine has the red band and was painted black but the guy that found it was a bit overzealous when cleaning it up and took some painted markings off when trying to get a better look at the stamped numbers above.

The 20 pounder was a 1950's tank gun fitted to Charioteer and Centurion MkIII and V. Are there any more available from that batch of 30? I am after one for a case I have.