What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 x 144R Bofors Drill round

SG500

Premium Member
I picked this one up recently, the drill version of the 20 x 144 R Bofors round. I'm still looking for a service round so if anyone has one spare I'd be interested in it.
Thanks.
Dave.

Attachments

• New shells 038.jpg
    New shells 038.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 71
  • New shells 037.jpg
    New shells 037.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 125
I just found a shell case for the 20 mm M40 Bofors AA gun today. Never seen one before!

Dave, Nice round. Don't see many of this loading in any form. First of the drill rounds I have seen, but I am sure there are a lot out there. Here are a couple of shots of the HE-T version, including a pulled projectile. It is uncommon, but very nice. I have several versions of the Swedish catalog of ammuntion and there are a surprising number of loadings that you don't see on this side of the pond.

Bob

Attachments

• 20mm BOFORS.jpg
    20mm BOFORS.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20mm BOFORS hs.jpg
    20mm BOFORS hs.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 104
Dave, Nice round. Don't see many of this loading in any form. First of the drill rounds I have seen, but I am sure there are a lot out there. Here are a couple of shots of the HE-T version, including a pulled projectile. It is uncommon, but very nice. I have several versions of the Swedish catalog of ammuntion and there are a surprising number of loadings that you don't see on this side of the pond.

Bob

Very nice indeed Bob, thanks for showing them. Any idea why the one has a groove in the band and the other doesn't?
Dave.

Some nice rounds - I'd like one of those HE ones!

I do have an AP, which has I think (and hope) the correct projectile, although it is not crimped in. See below (from the Ammo Photo Gallery on my website):

20mm2.jpg

bofors 20mm drill

:wink:Very nice drill round dave,I aint seen one before or the service round,well done.

Does anybody knwo what "GAB" stands for?

I am pretty sure "PARTI" is the Swedish word for "LOT".

Just love that 20 m/m x 145R Akan M40-70 dummy drill round! - I never gave it a thought that a drill round would exist for this system, but realise now that of course there must have been. Cool looking item indeed.
After seeing EODGUYS pictures of his HE/T example, I thought I would put up some images of the projectiles that I have in the collection.
I have what I think is the practice tracer version of that shown in EODGUYS post (Going by the colours here - open to comment!).
The rest of the projectiles comprise A/P practice, A/P/T, H/E/T, plus one or two others that I am not sure are from the M40 series and may be from the M47D system ( Swedish 20 m/m x 110 Hispano). There may even be one from the M42C system too! Identification of these projectiles as you can tell is not quite complete yet!

Bockscar.

Attachments

• 20 mm m.40 barl. itu.jpg
    20 mm m.40 barl. itu.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 45
  • shells 100.jpg
    shells 100.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 54
  • shells 098.jpg
    shells 098.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 49
  • shells 101.jpg
    shells 101.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 57
Just love that 20 m/m x 145R Akan M40-70 dummy drill round!

Bockscar.

WOW what can I say, what a good selection of rounds you have there, thanks for showing them. I didn't realise there were quite that many different projectiles for the round.
Dave.

Just love that 20 m/m x 145R Akan M40-70 dummy drill round! - I never gave it a thought that a drill round would exist for this system, but realise now that of course there must have been.

Bockscar.

The dummies are pretty much around and usually the first and easiest to get.

Has anybody seen a Danish one?

Wow! There are some great loadings of this round out there. Thanks to all who have posted. Thought I would add a page from the Swedish ammo catalog. Funny they do not show the drill round that started this thread. You may not read Swedish, but you can get the idea I am sure.

Attachments

• Swedish Manual.jpg
    Swedish Manual.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 54
Catalogue

EODGUY,

I am taking all my information on the 20 m/m x 145R from the same catalogue as you have.....I agree with what you say - you can get by on the illustrations to a degree, although a knowledge of the Swedish language would be a great help!

Bockscar.

some photos from my early catalouges.

it shows the different 20mm that have been in use in sweden.

Attachments

• DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for the additional information guys its always good to get original information.
Dave.

OK, maybe someone can answer two questions for me. I agree that knowledge of Swedish would be a big help when I dig deeper into this round. My original catalog page that I posted above was from a 1983 catalog. When was this round in service in Sweden? It is not listed in my 1949 catalog, nor my 1990 catalog. I have attached a page from my 1975 catalog and there are 7 loadings shown. My second question concerns the 1960 catalog. There are two listings for the round that I have attached. Let me apologize for the quality of these photos. I have a Xerox copy of the original manual and color photos of the original color plates so neither are clear. The first listing is for the 20mm akan m/40 and the second is for the 20mm tubkanoner. Anyone know what the difference is in the weapons. Can I assume that the tubkanoner system is an antitank gun since it has only AP live loadings? I need some nice 20 something, blond Swedish woman to help me translate!!

Attachments

• Swedish manual 1960 2.jpg
    Swedish manual 1960 2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Swedish manual 1960.jpg
    Swedish manual 1960.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Swedish manual 1975.jpg
    Swedish manual 1975.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 23