What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm (2cm) Pzgr 40 Projectiles

M8owner

Here is something that has been offered to me. How hard to find are these 20mm AP projectiles with the tungsten carbide core? What kind of prices do these command in Europe?

Thank you for your help.

1 (1).jpg

The projos are most likely counterfeit. There is a lot of that going on. They take regular projectiles and turn them down and put new tips on them. Those projos look too new and too good to match those cases. They use regular projectile bodies that are already marked, so they look real. Those cases definitely look like lake recovery items.

The magnesium and aluminum is usually corroded on the real hardcore projos.

Ask for x-rays.

Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
I'd like one hint hint ������ I haven't seen many for sale on websites etc. even if a copy it would be a gap filler just depends on asking price ???

My contact is asking $200 each, and he is not supplying an X-Ray. So, it looks like I will be passing on these. Thank you for your help.

If you want to read more about the counterfeits, I read about it some time back on the WK2 Ammo site

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

M8,

From searching for these in the past, there are 3 types of Pzgr40 projectiles, H, Pzgr with Steel body, H Pzgr and H Pzgr long., and if you search, this site and other sites, you'll see there are an awful lot of fakes around, as they're soo rare.
2cm Pzgr40 types.jpg

Here is a section through H Pzgr mit Stahlboden, and H Pzgr
2cm Pzgr40 -2.jpg

Heres another poor fake, there are definitely better ones (as in the previous thread), but thought you might like this one as you'll might recognise the workmanship (if you scale it up) ;-)
c9f6_1_b.JPG

I hope that helps
Rich

Last edited:
Sad to see so many fake pieces going around, guy on eBay trying to sell a "prototype" claymore mine (clearly a homemade resin cast) for over 1000$. And this guy is obviously trying to scam people from what it seems. I have to admit though I would love one for my collection though! :p

I have now had two highly regarded collectors tell me these could be real. My supplier has now added these photos. I am now leaning towards buying these.

3.jpg4.jpg6 - Copy.jpg5.jpg

M8
They're real
weight should be around 105g which they are. Which makes that just about the most staggering photo I've seen on BOCN.

With a little maths, the approximate volume of that projectile is about 6050mm^3 (19.7mm dia, 62.2mm tall of which cone is ~34.2mm tall) and if they were solid steel with density of approx 0.0078kg/mm^3 they'd weigh 47g each. They definitely have a tungsten core.

Please ship a couple to me :)

rich

And I thought you folks were going to tell me that they were common and went for only 20 Euros each when I posted this.

Yes please, i will have one as well if you have any spare.
Best regards Weasel.

I managed to secure six. The other four were already sold. No volume discounts were allowed. I should have them by mid November. I will only keep one or two. The others are trading material for other types of German tank ammo.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 104
I managed to secure six. The other four were already sold. No volume discounts were allowed. I should have them by mid November. I will only keep one or two. The others are trading material for other types of German tank ammo.

Nice bullets.
What types of German tank ammo are you looking for as swaps?
Dave.

Hello Dave,

What I really want is a complete AP or HE round for the 75mm Kwk 42 on the Panther tank. However, I also need 75mm Pzgr 39's for the Pak 40 and KwK 40. Do you think one of these 20mm rounds is a fair trade for a Pzgr 39 projectile?

Steve

Hi Steve,
IMHO, it's all down to rarity and quality, and not size or infamy (eg 88's) having just found 10 items that people hunt for a long time to find, their rarity has arguably decreased. Then again, with 6 of them, you can cherry pick what and who to trade them.

The standard 75mm pzgr39 is very easy to find over here. So I would not equate a 2cm Pzgr40 to a 7,5cm Pzgr39.
On the other hand a non Marine (Panther/JadgPanzer IV/70) kwk42 round is a lot harder to find in non relic condition, and probably worth more in excellent condition

That would be my honest opinion, I hope that helps.

Last edited:
The first two have arrived. They seem to be the real thing. They are heavy for their size. Both are marked "aux 5b41". I will see what I can do about getting them X-rayed. Mick has graciously offered to help facilitate trades in the UK. My plan is to ship him two. Would it be a crime for me to cut and make a cross section of one?

Attachments

• photo (45).JPG
    photo (45).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 63
  • photo (46).JPG
    photo (46).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 73
  • photo (47).JPG
    photo (47).JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 64
Would it be a crime for me to cut and make a cross section of one?

Yea go for it.............THEN LOCK UP THE HACKSAW BEFORE YOU START CUTTING ANY MORE THINGS UP (speaking from experience).

Dave.

I have all six now. May I request that someone attach a page from a German manual showing this ammunition? Thank you for your help.