What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Hispano or Vulcan?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
Please see the attached photos of a 20mm projectile. It came in a 1951 dated Kynoch Hispano case but could be a mismatch. The drive band looks to be Hispano but the fuze is more like those found on Vulcan rounds although the thread gauge is the same as Hispano fuzes. It is 60mm long and is stamped RCC, presumably the manufacturer. Any thoughts please?

cheers, Dave

Attachments

• IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 52
The shape of the projectile corresponds to the projectiles for the Vulcan cannon and the driving band as well.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_25.jpg
    Zuschneiden_25.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 21
Looks to me to be closer to the M90 series of late/postwar US 20mm Hispano.
Has a longer body than the M50 series 'Vulcan' types.

Looks to me to be closer to the M90 series of late/postwar US 20mm Hispano.
Has a longer body than the M50 series 'Vulcan' types.
That was my feeling too kahu1 but I’m looking for confirmation from ‘those who know’! I think that the US M90 had a fuze similar to that shown
thanks, Dave

Here are a picture out from TM 9-1901-1 Ammunition for Aircraft Guns 1957.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_21.jpg
    Zuschneiden_21.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 20
That’s interesting Rigby, it also shows stampings on the drive band - did all US Hispano rounds have them?
cheers, Dave

If I'm not mistaken, the M505 fuze was also used with 20mm vulcan rounds
Yes, I think that’s what is causing me confusion, I think I’m right in saying that that fuze was used with post war 20mm Hispano and Vulcan rounds.
Can anyone identify the shell manufacturer RCC?