What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Marquardt Rounds

EODGUY

The US Navy sent Frank Marquardt to Germany after WWII to investigate aircraft machinegun development. He was interested in the revolver gun type weapon and on 7 Dec 45 made his first sketch of the Marquardt gun. The result was the Mark 11 Mod 0 20mm machine gun. I have attached a photo with some of the rounds for that development program. They are a very interesting variation of a rimless grooveless case that was held in a carrier that fed into the weapon.
From left to right: A brass case, electric primed case, headstamped FA * 49. The rotating band is flanged over the mouth of the case.;; The same round except there is no primer and the headstamp is FA 50.;; An early dummy variation loaded with a 1950 dated T114 Practice projectile. There is no primer pocket in the case, the base being flat and smooth. The headstamp is FA 50. A steel band is fit into the extractor groove. This is basically a modified T132 dummy round, which had an identical case to the Navy's 20x110mm Mark 100 series ammunition. The only difference is the reshaped shoulder and neck on the case.;; A scarce electric primed steel case version with a one piece steel projectile. Headstamp is EKCO 51 X.; Equally scarce aluminum case. Electric primed with the headstamp FA * 48*. The projectile is the M99 and is a mis-match for the case.;; One version of the aluminum carrier with a cartridge identical to the second round with the FA 50 headstamp. The primer pocket for the carrier is empty.;; Another carrier design with an electric primer.;; A third carrier design, electric primed with a link still attached. One of the most common links was simply a twisted wire, which I unfortunately do not have.

Attachments

• 20mm Marquardt.jpg
    20mm Marquardt.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 121
Nice rounds EODguy,

i'd love some of those but the only ones i've seen have been very expensive.great collection.

Bob

Very interesting and also very rare stuff:tinysmile_classes_t. Up till now I've only seen line drawings of them in the Cartridge books of W. de Hek. Nice to see pictures of the real thing.