What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm MG-151 rounds with white band

cornman

Hi,
in my collection I have two 20mm MG-151 rounds which have a white band.
Is this original on both projectiles? If so, what is the meaning of the white bands?

Best regards, Cornman

Attachments

• DSC04633.jpg
    DSC04633.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 149
A 5mm-wide red, green, yellow or white band on or just above the shell's driving band on the calibers from 2cm - 4cm
reflected the shell's tracer color. Red was the most common

I pulled the following info off the net

A.P. black body no band steel material no filling, no tracer, no fuze

A.P./I black body 0.2" band-blue- at .7" from the nose with .2" band above D.B. // A.P. steel material phosophorus 52 in light alloy case. No tracer and no fuze

A.P./H.E. Balck body .7" yellow band at .2" above D.B. or .2" yellow band .7" below nose // A.P. steel material, Penthrite waz 76 filling, no tracer, 17mm of penetration, no fuze

Tracer Olive green body, Yellow and mauve above driving band. Steel material, no filling, Brilliant white 1.8 tracer and no fuze.

Tracer Olive green body, yellow above driving band and white below nose with 3 arrows stamped on nose plug. Steel material, no filling Brilliant white or yellow tracer. no fuze.

I/T navy blue body, 0.2" red band or maroon band. Steel material incediary similiar to green band type. Approx. 4 seconds of tracer, aluminum detenator in nose(strikerless)

H.E./T. (8. D) Yellow body black 0.4" above driving band. Steel material Penthrite wax 57.1 Yellow tracer, 2.0 seconds. Fuze : A.Z. 1501 (Brass)

H.E./T. (8. D) Yellow body, no bands, Steel material Penthrite wax 57.1 Pale green tracer at 1.4 seconds. no penetration levels, A.Z. 1504 Aluminum Fuze.

H.E./T. (8. D) Steel, unpainted body with white band above driving band. Steel material, Penthrite wax at 49.2. Brillian white tracer at 6.0 seconds, Fuze: A.Z. 1502 Brass

H.E. Minen Projectile Yellow body with black band below fuze. Drawn steel hemispherical base with Penthrite wax-262 // no tracer, Fuze : A.Z. 1502 (Brass)

H.E. Minen/Incendiary Green band below fuze. Drawn steel hemispherical base. Penthrite wax, incendiary pellet. no tracer, Fuze : Z.Z. 1505, steel, brass coated.

H.E./I/T (8. D) Yellow body with 0.2" blue 0.4" above driving band or 0.25" blue below fuze // steel material penthrite wax-55 Incendiary 6. Fuze: Aluminum A.Z. 1504

H.E./I/T (8. D) Yellow body with brown above D.B., blue below fuze. Steel material bright night tracer, Fuze : Aluminum plated A.Z. 1504

H.E./I/T (8. D) Yellow body with 0.25" green band below fuze, 0.2" red band above D.B., Steel material with Penthrite wax-36, Incediary 34. // Deep Yellow tracer, and Fuze : Aluminum plated A.Z. 1504.

Last edited:
Something is wrong with the 2 shown above. Can't say for sure what but during researching this field for 20 years I have never seen such markings. Also very skilled painters are enhancing standard rounds like these to sell them better. Be aware.

The only white band I have come across is on a API-tp Armour Piercing Incendiary(Phosphorus) the white band was the early marking for incendiary,BUT the white band was at the top of the projectile in place of the blue band on the example shown above,it also had a red neck seal.

Tony

Last edited:
You may be correct on the HE on right
I enhanced the photo and there is definetly a green band showing at the base of the fuze where it meets the projectile

Yes i see. Bleached out colours i see many times by mire finds.

dont cry new paint every time like some others...

Thanks for all the replies so far. I`ll take a close look at the band on the HE round to determine if it is bleached out green or..

Regards, Cornman

I took a close look at the band and it is definately white. Remains only the question if it is original or not, but because it is unknown by other collectors that could be the answer on the question.

Regards, Cornman

Many crates of ammo were found from the tko and exw etc. All HE wich was in this crates wich i know have green or black or "white" bands. some more some less clear white and by the look of the labels only one result left: extremly bleached out colour

Don't know how much this helps but we found bit over 2000 20 mm rounds 2 weeks ago, there were many API rounds with white band in the nose, but none with band over the driving band. I have seen at least ten thousand 20 mm rounds in variable condition, but never seen ones like these two. So "caveat emptor"..

Hey all,

I'was able to trade the API round with Cornman, and as far as I can see the white band over the drivingband is quite original (deterioration of pigment, wear and staining are the same as on the other colours and are uniform all over the projectile). I do, however, have some doubt as to the white band around the case mouth.
Having looked through my references, I've found the projectile might well be an API-T, which, I'd have to agree with kmraisu, would be rare (Normal 151/20 API arguably being the most common round for this weapon found "on the market" nowadays) . In fact it would be the first ever I found.

greetz,

Menno.