What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm NO MY FAULT

No it's not my fault. I blame this on you. Yeah, you know who you are. Okay, I collect WW1 stuff and i'm at my favourite militaria shop today and see these 20mm shells and thay look COOL to me. This is because of you guys posting all of this cool ammo in here that tipped my interest. I wish I could show the base of one of the shells but to call my camera a steaming pile of ogre dung would be a compliment! Seriously I love these little shells and now have to figure how to display. The middle shell has embossed on bottom CARTRIDGE DRILL M18 A1 20mm. one of the others on the projectile is stenciled 20mm DUMMY 451A1 LOT UNKN. The other is blank. I paid 15.00us for the three so figure I didn't get skinned too bad. Since I know absolutely nothing about these shells any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 91
thanks

Thanks Rick, The real bummer is this shop has all kinds of this junk that I DONT collect (well at least not yet). Love your input. Dano

Vulcan/Hispano/Vulcan

First one on LHS is 20mm Vulcan Drill middle is 20mm Hispano and looks like a Drill round and the RHS one is again 20mm Vulcan possibly an odd painted Ball round.
All are really good items for any starter collection-so you did not get fleeced !

And NO we are not sorry you have been led astray !!

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks guys for the info and kind words. I see my collection drifting another direction. Not bad as this stuff is readily available and 20mm is a good displayable size where you don't need a whole room to make a good display. Thanks

Hi Dano

Hi Dano, well done and congratulations on getting into cannon rounds.
The best way to display them is to build a couple of shelves about 3 metres long and a metre deep and fit some perspex over the front. By doing that you'll have plenty of room for quite a few hundred more and you won't have to keep dusting them. I did that and ran out of room in about 5 years!!
Dave.

And to add to what Dave said, once you have an example of every caliber/case type, then you can work on getting every color combination of projectile! Oh, and make sure you get both the electric primed and percussion primed examples particularly the German 20mms and 30mms and the GAU8/GAU9 30mm U.S. stuff. Good hunting!

John