What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Projectile ID please

hicky1300

Found this amongst odds & sods & thought it was just another 20mm Vulcan TP Proj?
Steel body & alloy nose but the drive band has this strange profile I have not seen before.
Thoughts? ID & cart it goes with please.

Something for the Stealth Fighter maybe?

Looks like its been fired then the band turned down on a lathe to make it look like its not been fired..........the band doesn't protrude much above the main body so wouldn't engage much rifling as it is.

Dave.

The nose shape and the position of the nosecap/body join look to me like a PGU-28, which has been the US standard ammo in the M61 aircraft gun since the 1980s.

I thought it was a Vulcan projectile but after comparing it to the others in my collection the shape is different & the nose is longer
I know what is meant about the drive band & considered this but theres none of the usual tell tales/damage (apart from rifling marks ) it has been fired
If it has been turned then it was a very good job. The drive band does still protrude above the body

IMG_0079.jpgOK - bit confused now. This proj is not for a PGU-28 round as it is too long & the profile is wrong although the nose length does match some. I have looked at my 20 x 110USN rounds & the proj is the right length but the dimensions for the drive band and the machining of it do not match?!
Picture shows all my 20 x 102`s with the two 20 x 110`s I have. The rogue proj is the loose one

Looks like a 20mm x110USN API proj,(MK13)with a turned down fired DB,this is squeezed downward on firing.
The ridge above the DB is the AP core sheath.
Note; your 20mmUSN rounds are in the HS820 link,the correct link (mod2) is more like the vulcan type,with different spacing.
And the black proj. is wrong for the USN case.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for that Bob
I knew about the M99 Proj - just hadn`t put it in the correct case!
Links were just to get them together & out of the way. Need the correct links