What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Projectile ID

Darren

Here i have a 20mm projectile, Any information about the projectile at all would be great.

I will also be on the look out for the correct case for this projectile so any information on what i should be looking for would also be a great help.

Projectile colour is blue with a red band around the bottom, stampings on the projectile are: ??? 2 45 (??? may well be: eee)

Stampings on the fuze are: AZ1528? OJ? 2 1944

Cheers,
Darren

Attachments

• 005 (1632 x 468).jpg
    005 (1632 x 468).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 007 (592 x 1030).jpg
    007 (592 x 1030).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 41
  • 008 (583 x 1136).jpg
    008 (583 x 1136).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 37
Well, it's clearly a German M-Geschoss high capacity "mine shell", which were common issue with MG 151/20 aircraft guns and also used in the earlier MG-FFM, which remained in service until late in the war in upward-firing night-fighter installations.

So you're looking for a 20x82 or 20x80RB case (see below).

The blue colour indicates an incendiary filling, the red band a tracer.

The fuze is a simple percussion type which was only used with incendiaries.

20mm1.jpg

Your projectile is a 2 cm Brandgranate , Leuchtspur, M, Zerl
(incendairy, tracer, self destructive)and not a M gescho.
MG 151 , MG FF

A drawing of the 2 cm brandgescho

Attachments

• doetinchem  wa 004.jpg
    doetinchem wa 004.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 34
Sorry, by "M-Geschoss" I was loosely referring to the thin-walled method of construction with the shell body being stamped and drawn rather than drilled out from the solid as Allied cannon shells were. This is clearly shown by the rounded base of the shell. The incendiary had thicker walls than the HE shells and was correspondingly heavier, but it still had a far greater chemical capacity than conventional shells. However, Blackwatch is correct that M-Geschoss is not part of the official name of this type.