What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20MM sabot with cube

Slick

Just noticed this peculiar projectile in the assemblage of 20MM rounds. Unfired. The cube measures 9mm X 11mm and rattles loosely in its recess. I can't recall ever seeing one quite like this. Anybody got info?

001.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 007.jpg

Probably a short range practice projectile ,the cube would help to de stabilise and break up the petals.

Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob.

I got the following info via email: This is a fragment test round. They fill them with different types of metal cubes and balls and fire then at aircraft and other vehicles to test effects on such things. These are made in different calibers.

In the UK they are most commonly found in .50 calibre, but similar .303 projectiles exist without a sabot. I will post some pictures later.

Theye were often used to test cockpit canopies for the effects of fragments from nearby bursts.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Rick, nice bullet.

Attached a few photos of 30mm GAU 8 test rounds.

Dave.

IMG_1450.jpgIMG_1456.jpgIMG_1451.jpgIMG_1452.jpgIMG_1453.jpgIMG_1454.jpgIMG_1455.jpg

Thanks to all for their input. Considering I've been into this bullet & ord. collecting for a while, you'd think I would have known about these. I'm guessing we all get humbled on occasion.

Rick

Thanks to all for their input. Considering I've been into this bullet & ord. collecting for a while, you'd think I would have known about these. I'm guessing we all get humbled on occasion.

Rick

That's what's so great about this hobby, always something new to learn & none of us know it all.

Dave.

As promised, here are some pictures of smaller calibre simulation fragments.

First are a couple of .303s with a normal bullet for scale. Not the very small "driving band" on the smaller fragment and the chamfered edges.

The other is a .30 calibre in a sabot fired from a .50BMG case.

All are British.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    90 KB · Views: 16
  • 50 Fragmant.jpg
    50 Fragmant.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 50 Fragment 2.jpg
    50 Fragment 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 12
Guys,
that is one interesting collection you all have there. I have never seen anything like that before and didn't even know they had such rounds?

With something similar, my Dad worked at Goodyear Aerospace for many many years. In the big hangar they had a "Chicken" Cannon. It is just what the name suggests and was set up sort of like you see on TV sometimes on such shows as "Modern Marvels" and especially the Weather Channel during Hurricane season when they fire 2x4s into walls in order to see what will penetrate various materials of what you would find on an outer wall of a home down south. But they (Goodyear Aerospace) used dead chickens and ducks and shot them at the forward wind screen of jet fighters and some commercial airliners, all of which used different materials and at different take-off and landing speeds. Here in the US we used glass with I believe were poly carbonates? I am not sure because this was going on around 1969-1970(?). Back even to WWI they was a problem with bird strikes killing pilots in the cockpits. This was especially bad for the Navy with Gulls. They had it real bad even with the more modern fighters and Attack airplanes such as the F-8s, A-6s, A-4s in Vietnam where it was not unheard off for these pilots to get killed at low altitudes at a fast rate on the deck. Same went for the other services, especially the Air Force and their Century Series Fighters along with the Helicopters that the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines flew.

There are a number of private pilots and small jets such as the Saberliners, Lears, Hawkers, and the list goes on that had problems too. An aquaitenanace of mine was killed while flying a Cessna 180RG when a duck went through the propeller before it hit him in the chest and killing him instantly. Autopsy showed that he died from massive crush wounds to the neck and chest. The plane made it back to an alternative site with a Mayday call for help from the co-pilot who was hurt all over his left side and a loosing blood when another plane answered and helped him land the plane by being his eyes. The co-pilot was in the hospital for over a month with allot of broken bones and lacerations to his face, hands, and his left foot.

I was able to witness a test one day when I was young to witness this test they did with a duck hitting the front wind screen of an F-4D Phantom II at a speed well in excess of 200+ mph. Because for some reason the Phantoms and F-105s were having the same problems with pilots flying hard, fast, and down on the deck and getting bird strikes through the wind screen either wounding the pilots or killing them. With this device they had the capability to go up to Mach 2+ using an object of similar weight and size as a duck and a chicken (Both of these birds were also used for foreign strikes to the engine intakes at the various engine manufacturing facilities such as Pratt & Whitney, GE, and others around the country.) for front strikes through the wind screen. On this particular occassion the object went right through the wind screen and broke the ejection seat head rest in two. Speed of object was approximately 380mph I believe is what he had told me at that time and it was loud when it hit. I think he told me something about using some sort of Lexan or Plexiglass which now sound familiar to me as a way to help counter this back then and using it in layers or something? Now days they can withstand 23mm impacts from ZSUs.

Sorry guys for hijacking your threads. I just thought this would be inline with what you were all talking about in regards to those neat rounds.

Last edited:
Dave,
that is one interesting collection you have there. I have never seen anything that resembles such beasts. Thanks for showing it to me and explaining them. Can I ask how you got them?

Thanks, I don't know what the history of the 30mm's is. I got them in a trade with another collector a couple of years ago.

Dave.