What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm ShVAK Rounds

EODGUY

I have attached a photo of four ShVAK rounds from the collection. Left is the HEI-T round (1944 headstamp) with the K-6 fuze. Next is the HEI-T (1951 headstamp) with the A-20 fuze. Next is an API round with a 1942 headstamp. The last (far right) is a Czech made (iou 52) loading. Can someone tell me if this is an AP, APT, API?

Attachments

• 20mm Shvak.jpg
    20mm Shvak.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 140
According to "Soviet cannon" by Christian Koll the Czech round is AP-T, made for a subcaliber barrel for some other weapon. It's too long to be fired from ShVAK.

The link to the Russian ammunition web site is attached.
http://russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_25mm.html#5
As Tmine35 says and quoted from the above site:
"A Czech post WWII AP-T round is known, which uses a pointed solid steel shot with tracer. This is exactly the same type as used in the 20x138B cartridge and is shown in the second picture of the 20x138B section (the one with the red powder bag). Contrary to the round shown, the projectile for the 20x99R is originally unpainted, cases are brass with the headstamp IOU and a date from the early 50s".
Dave.

Thanks Tmine35 and others. I recalled that it was a subcaliber and because of the length knew it would not work in a ShVAK system, but wanted to get confirmation on that and an ID on the projectile loading.