What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm strange yellow paint

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I'm quite sure it's a Britiqh SAPI but with strange color yellow. 82mm long, 66mm without plug. No tracer.
I think repainted.
Any idea ?

IMG_2663.JPG

Does it have the usual RG on the base of the nose plug. My SAPI have it. Seems odd with yellow paint for British? I have not measured my projectile yet.
Edited to correct the base mark.

Last edited:
If you look you can see where someone has used a pair of grips on the casing in the middle lower part which is painted over. seems odd, most probably a re paint.

The RG is for Radway Green . It shows who made the projectile or nose cap.
I also have a sectioned SAPIR that is stamped JAP on the nose-cap base.

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm quite sure it's a Britiqh SAPI but with strange color yellow. 82mm long, 66mm without plug. No tracer.
I think repainted.
Any idea ?

View attachment 184256

That looks exactly the type of paint that some British Army museums slapped on ordnance many years ago. I've seen a few examples of it on items released from their displays over the years.

Hard to tell from a single photo, but there appear to be wrench marks mid-way down the body of the projectile. If correct, this may have been to remove the plug and confirm/complete inerting. The fact that the paint is over those marks would seem to support the repaint theory.

Thanks for answers.
This empty shell came with a French (I assume) post ww2 case 20x110 HS 404. Not sure about this combination (?).
So repainted body.
Markings on plug (base) seems to be also french post war : ECP 50.

IMG_2691.JPGIMG_2686.jpgIMG_2695.jpgIMG_2693.JPG

My old friend Burney Davis is right, and I, too, have seen this rather gaudy yellow in similar circumstances. And others have remarked upon the witness marks caused by wrench/pliers/vice which are now overpainted.
Here is an eg, straight out of the factory and dated /43 that shows the rather muddy yellow that was used, or has deteriorated to, in Brit service.
Alan1.DSCN0832[1].jpg