What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20x102 APFSDS 'flechette' round - info needed

orpheus72

Premium Member
Added this beauty to my collection today.

I can't find any info on it, just that it was an experimental round made by Lake City Ammunition in 1968. (as marked on the original casing)

The sabot is made of fiberglass (top, tail and inside) and plastic (lower outside). Core most likely tungsten (not magnetic)

So please, any info regarding this round is welcome.

Attachments

• APFSDS_projectile and case.jpg
    APFSDS_projectile and case.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 70
  • APFSDS_projectile.jpg
    APFSDS_projectile.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thanks to our friend Fede at the IAA forum, i've found a patent (US3834314) concerning this round.

All other info remains welcome.

Attachments

• US3834314 puller projectile_Page_1.jpg
    US3834314 puller projectile_Page_1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 19
  • US3834314 puller projectile_Page_2.jpg
    US3834314 puller projectile_Page_2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 25
  • US3834314 puller projectile_Page_3.jpg
    US3834314 puller projectile_Page_3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 19
  • US3834314 puller projectile_Page_4.jpg
    US3834314 puller projectile_Page_4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 21
  • US3834314 puller projectile_Page_5.jpg
    US3834314 puller projectile_Page_5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 20
I was thinking it was an AAI experimental. I'm seeing the patent is taken out by them. The sabot material is same as a 25mm AAI round that I have. I'm not sure if that particular projectile is the same one in the patent. The ogive isn't tapered on the patent drawing. AAI does all types of variations on things. There could be many AAI patents.

I was thinking it was an AAI experimental. I'm seeing the patent is taken out by them. The sabot material is same as a 25mm AAI round that I have. I'm not sure if that particular projectile is the same one in the patent. The ogive isn't tapered on the patent drawing. AAI does all types of variations on things. There could be many AAI patents.

Hazord: You can be correct. In the 20x102 series there seems to be at least 5 different ones (at least that's what i make of a picture i found on the internet...)

But i'm already glad i found a drawing of one of these rounds that look 99% like the one i have ;-) So now i know it is for sure an AAI Corporation experimental round from the early 70's.

Attachments

• 20x102 apsdfs.jpg
    20x102 apsdfs.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 56
Hmmmm......the third one down looks very much like a (one of lots) flechette from a 2.75" FFAR(Sneb rocket) to me???????

It begs the question, Why? Flechette as a multiple warhead tool seems sensible, one flechette per cartridge seems an expensive ball replacement

Your assumption is basically correct. Just keep in mind that the smaller the diameter the higher the ballistic coefficient, means more AP capability.
The sabot design also provides a much higher velocity. All these factors matter when you fight armored/hard targets and in particular fast moving ones. Hence the wide spread use in CIWS systems while some medium calibers (like in IFVs) are used in the AP role.

Last edited: