What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20x105 MG-204

Hey Miguel,

Although not very common, there are plenty around among collectors. I've owned several over the years (about five).
This is the unbelted version for use in the MG204. Initially a belted version (the same round as used with the S18-100 AT rifle but marked with an extra stamp L 204) was tested, but it was found that round gave feed problems. To fix the feed problems the case was modified to the unbelted version shown here.

IIRC, the unbelted round finally saw limited service in some (kriegsmarine) seaplanes, not having been adopted for Luftwaffe service.

greetz,

Menno.

I love these obscure limited-service rounds! My info agrees with Menno's. The earlier version of the gun, with the belted ammo, was referred to as the Lb 204. The MG 204 was a Rheinmetall-Borsig recoil-operated design which was only ever used in flexible mountings in some Do 18E, Bv 138A-1 and ex-Dutch Do 24K-2. It was fed by a 20-round saddle-drum magazine. A 100 round drum and a belt-fed version were developed for fixed mounting, but never issued. The gun weighed 55 kg and fired at a rather low 400 rpm. Projectile weight was 134g and muzzle velocity 750 m/s.

The Kriegsmarine aircraft were always at the end of the queue for equipment, and made do with whatever the Luftwaffe didn't want. They also put the French Hispano HS 404 into service.

Caracal, you have two very nice French tank rounds in your collection, are they very hard to find?

Well even for french collectors the french tank projectiles are very very hard to find (the cases are common for the 2 i have in my gallery). I have seen only few ones and all (except one) were more or less restored. Mine are (just a bit) restored too.

This one is hard to find too, 37x149 Mle1938, the case is not very common and projectile is really hard to find, or in collector meetings (so at high prices). The projectile is restored:

Attachments

• 37x149.jpg
    37x149.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 101
Wow, very nice one. What can you tell me about this?

Attachments

• 901_001.jpg
    901_001.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 901_002.jpg
    901_002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 901_003.jpg
    901_003.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 77
It is a Mle 1902 round, but i don't know much about it. It's for naval or casemate use if i remember well, but not for tanks.

Maybe our friend andre could talk much about this one?

The case is dated 1937 and possibly used in WW2. The projectile is incorrect, it is from a German 37x94 canon.

Mle 1902

Hello
This case is really good (37x200r) (tube cannon) but the shell is German incendiary for 37x94r case (1ww)
Amicalement
Andr

I love this forum and its members. Could you put for a future reference a pic, or a group of pics of the French WWII Tank Rounds, please? I find them a very interesting field.

i think that with all the rounds of the members of this forum, we can make a good photo group! I will take mine tomorrow

Yes, French Tank Rounds is a semiforgotten field because France lost the war ver fast, but we cant forget that France is a great country with a lot of history and, very important, Germans used these rounds when captured them. So, I believe that it is very important for future references ask to all members who have in their collections these rounds for post pics of them. And if have more info or wartime photos post them too, of course.

Also I think would be better start to post pics in another thread with proper tittle, for instance: "French Tank Rounds From WWII". If you are the first on post pics Caracal, you can start the thread.

Also I think would be better start to post pics in another thread with proper tittle, for instance: "French Tank Rounds From WWII". If you are the first on post pics Caracal, you can start the thread.

i have just remembered that such a topic already exist (with AT round too), and if the color choosen during the restoration of the projectiles is not good, you have all the calibers you need on that topic (the 75mm for B-1 Bis is the only one i have ever seen, even restored, it's a rarity!):

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/french-collection-t39124.html?t=39124&highlight=47mm+1935

I need to know what type of shell is right for this case, please. :eek:oh:

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 51