What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20x105B "Short Solothurn" rounds

Hey Tony,

As far as my knowledge (the little bit there is of it) goes, it has been established that in 20 x 105, only belted rounds were used with the AT rifles in that calibre, and both belted and unbelted rounds were tested with the MG 204, although the priming system for the belted version tested with the 204 was a different one than that for the AT rifle rounds in same calibre.

As far as the 20 x 108 goes, the question that seems to remain is: was there ever an AT rifle/KwK in 20 x 108 calibre (EOD correctly states that there is no relation shown between the weapon shown in the link I posted and the ammo drawings in same link, so it is quite possible that I will have to stand corrected). Iff there was, such a weapon might very well have used the 20 x 108 rimmless round shown in the drawings.

regards,

Menno.

Thanks Menno,

I've tended to assume that the prototype aircraft gun in 20x105B was designated Lb 204, and that the change to the MG 204 designation came when the gun was officially adopted in the rimless 20x105 calibre, but I have no clear evidence for that - it just seems like a reasonable supposition.

Tony,

That would indeed seem a reasonable supposition.

Now to throw some oil on the fire (and in jest) :

When the Lb 204 in 20 x 105/B proved to be insufficient (I recall reading this was due to feed problems), tests must have been conducted with the rimless (unbelted) round. At that time the gun had not yet been adopted, but afaik no unbelted rounds marked "Lb 204" have surfaced.
It would be an equally reasonable supposition that, iff official adoptation was the "turning point" in this gun's nomenclature, exp. rimmless (unbelted) rounds marked "Lb", keeping in line with German practice, should (or at least might) have existed as well...............:neutral: