What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24/31 RY Model 1917

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
I wanted share some pictures of the 24/31 RY Model 1917 from the museum. The markings are still partially visible.

Also of note ... you can still see portions of the red marking for the nose on the side of the fuze.

And there is a S in a bod on the bottom of the booster. Any ideas what that means?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-179-4.JPG
    ICE-JV-179-4.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 78
  • ICE-JV-179-8.JPG
    ICE-JV-179-8.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 65
  • RY.jpg
    RY.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 65
I wanted to bump this ... I now have a French 24/31 Mle 1899-1908 with the same S in a box on the bottom. So I thinking this is a French Company or marking of some sort.

Joe

Joe,

On the picture below, you can see the marking of this fuze as they were presented in a book from 1922 (Instruction sur le mortier STOKES de 81mm Modèle 1918, left, available on gallica.bnf.fr), and from 1932 (Manuel des munitions titre XI : Fusées d'obus, available in the download section). It' different on your fuze.

FR_FUZ_2431REMONDY1917.jpg

For the S on the booster, assuming it's a manufacturer mark, there are 4 with a S alone :

CIE FR DES METAUX, SERIFONTAINE (OISE)
STE INDUSTRIELLE ET COMMERCIALE DES METAUX
SA DE VEHICULES INDUSTRIELS ET D'EQUIPEMENTS MECANIQUES (SAVIEM), SURESNES (HAUTS-DE-SEINE)
STE NAT DES POUDRES ET EXPLOSIFS (SNPE), SORGUES (VAUCLUSE)

My money on the fourth !

Regards,

S.