What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 mm.?

Pea Shooter

This is a round I picked up recently. I was told it is 25mm. and used on the Bradley Tank. I have another Tungsten dart that has the pointed tip on it, but I can't seem to find it. Can any one give me some info on this round. Like the name, ect.? Thanks again, VaughnIMG_0038.jpgIMG_0040.jpgIMG_0041.jpg

The Case and Sabot look like a M791 APDS-T round.

I don't think the dart goes with the case and sabot.

That is a 25mm penetrator, but I'd have to get into the books to see for which model.

Hi Dave;
The dart is 5 inches long,without the tip. The tip on my other dart is about an inch long. Weren't some of the darts tips, made from depleted uranium? VaughnIMG_0075.jpg

The technical term is penetrator. Not a dart, not a flechette. Sometimes slug is an acceptable term, but this more often refers to the DU or tungsten rod inside of the penetrator. While not strictly a small arms collector, I do have a selection of 25mm I've found here and there and can report that the 25mm has been loaded with a large variety of penetrators, to include practice penetrators as well. Not long after the Bradley Fighting Vehicle (armored personnel carrier, not a tank) first came out we set about tearing apart a number of the practice discarding sabot rounds in order to play with the penetrators. Much to our surprise, the penetrators were different, depending upon the manufacture, while carrying the same model number. The explanation given to us was that the contract - at least for the practice rounds - was not so strict as to define the exact shape and dimensions of the penetrator, just the performance requirements. This allowed the contractors to utilize their own designs for the same model number. I was never able to confirm this, but it supported what we we finding at least.

I've attached pictures of some of my 25mm, plus some of the penetrators. All of the lower two rows of penetrators in the second picture are from 25mm. The diagram gives one example of the many long penetrators that have been used.

DSCN4078.jpg DSCN4079.jpg a.jpg

That's a nice collection. Is the top round in the middle photo (and the penetrator beneath it) the 30x173 MK258 for the RAMICS programme? That's one I'd like to own...

Incidentally, the 25x137 NATO ammo has been made in various other countries. I'm not sure to what extent the APFSDS from them simply copied the US designs or were separately developed.

@ US -Subs
Looking at the drawing you have there I find it Interesting that whilst this caliber is identified (25 x 173) in Millimeters the dimensions on the drawing are in inches.
Is the drawing one of your own for reference or similar or is it from an official document?
The drawing is not formatted to the recognised SI layout nor is it a First or 3rd angle projection.
Regards H

Tony is close. It was actually from an unclassified interim document, prepared on short notice and sent out to the EOD field for use until the formal document was released.

Tony Williams; Is the top round in the middle photo (and the penetrator beneath it) the 30x173 MK258 for the RAMICS programme? That's one I'd like to own...[/QUOTE said:
Sorry to disappoint - the top round is an experimental 35mm that was under joint development between the Soviets and Czechoslovakia. When things began to crumble the project died - one of the Czech engineers kept it on his desk and years later gave it to me. Don't know much about the penetrator beneath it, I got it here in the US from a former Aerojet employee, he had no idea what it was associated with.

You mean the sectioned case? It should be a 30x211.

Hmmmm.
Did I mention I'm not much with small arms? It would appear that you are correct. Damn, my own piece too. Memory is the second thing to go.... Or is it the first?

No matter what, if it is memory at some point you will not remember what was first anyways...

That's very interesting about the 30x211 APFSDS. How far did the project get? Someone recently send me a photo of what appears to be drill or dummy rounds in this calibre with an APFSDS-like "projectile". I'm rather surprised that such a round was being developed, given that AFAIK this cartridge was only ever used in the 1950s-era AA gun, typically in a twin mounting on the back of a 6x6. The last time I saw it was during the break-up of Yugoslavia when it was being used in ground fighting. Were there any plans to install this gun in an AFV turret?

That's very interesting about the 30x211 APFSDS. How far did the project get? Someone recently sent me a photo of what appears to be drill or dummy rounds in this calibre with an APFSDS-like "projectile". I'm rather surprised that such a round was being developed, given that AFAIK this cartridge was only ever used in the 1950s-era AA gun, typically in a twin mounting on the back of a 6x6. The last time I saw it was during the break-up of Yugoslavia when it was being used in ground fighting. Were there any plans to install this gun in an AFV turret?

US-Subs, any chance of a high-res photo of that round?

Tony I'll try to get to it this weekend. Bit busy as we have visitors to the Bombatorium later today and I've got to get my dog out of the hospital after surgery, both after a full day's work during which I have to drive 200 miles and train a new explosives kit to 30 officers. Might not get to taking any photos today.

I know nothing more about the project then I mentioned, I was at the site to help pull submunitions from an SS-21 missile and take some pictures, my concentration was elsewhere. I happened to see the piece and commented on it, next thing I knew he was stuffing it in my backpack. Good people.